What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Newbie Saying Hello

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
Well, I finally got the okay from the wife to pursue our (mine mostly) dream. The first of this year marks the first day of my 5-year build plan, and I can hardly wait! I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to the group. Does this go something like at an AA meeting? :D

I have always loved things that fly (i.e. rockets, kites, model planes, me and my kid-sister with "bedsheet" parachutes). Since being a kid and flying with my dad in rented Cessnas, I have also wanted to be a pilot. Not commercially, but for the "time-machine / freedom / CC joyride" aspect of it. I achieved the first part of that dream in 2005, when I took my private pilot checkride at 36.2 hours (part 141 school) on the island of Oahu, HI. Soon after that, my wife and I moved to Denver, Colorado.

The desire to build and fly my own RV-10 began when I went to get my BFR using a rented Cessna 172 Skyhawk. I was told to demonstrate a short-field takeoff over a 50 ft obstacle. As you can imagine, with the density altitude of a typical summer day in Colorado, the performance was much worse than the Skyhawks I had rented in Hawaii. I pulled out of ground effect to clear the invisible obstacle with an extreme, sea-level-hawaii-style pitch! Seeing my airspeed bleeding away at a very fast rate indeed, I nosed over and quickly recovered to straight and level flight. We must have been only 1 or 2 knots above stall. My check airmen then calmly stated, "You're not from around here are you." While this is a slight exageration of the events of that day, I was surprised and disappointed with the performance limitations over the mile-high city. That's when I really began my search for the perfect homebuilt.

For a while, I was on the fence between the high-wing "stump-jumpers" and the low-wing "slick slippers", but I've finally come to conclusion that all of you came to a while ago. All around, anyway you slice it, compute it, cost it, and spec it, there is truly nothing like a Vans! I'm proud to be a newbie, excited about the process and haven't dreamed this much in years. Thanks ahead of time for all the support.

Sincerely,

Mike Rettig (ppilotmike)

Welcome!

Welcome, Mike. I wish you all the best as you start your endeavor. I jokingly told folks when I started that it would be a 10-year project (all the while thinking it would be half that). I stayed busy for 13 years! And it's still not painted!

Welcome to the club. Most of the folks around here are OK. :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of RV building and also to the wonderful state of Colorado! Flying here has some unique challenges thats for sure. I am building an RV7 in Denver, feel free to PM me if you want.

Pleasure to have you here Mike. Those 5-year plans are working good :).
As Don said the majority of us here are sane but obsessed. Different from AA though... one A stands for aircraft, the other, well, you choose :D

Welcome aboard

Mike,

Welcome and hang on. You are in for one great roller coaster ride. There will be emotional ups and downs but I have not found anyone say there were sorry for building a kit plane. The RV-10 is a great plane. Best of luck.

Regards,

Avee8tor13

Think EAA

Mike, you sound so enthusiastic about your new endeavour. I think its great. Before reality sets in, I'd recommend seeking out the closest EAA section and latch on to an experienced RV builder willing to help. The RV-10 is a big airplane and two sets of hands (and two heads) are needed quite often. That's my experience and my build time was nearly 5 years (although we stopped to build a hangar and I switched engines in mid-stream). The RV-10 plans and materials are first-class and you will enjoy the building process. And you will learn more than you ever thought you could about airplanes. Good luck with your project. Its also great to have an understanding wife. That's my experience too!

Welcome aboard, Mike.....

...and I can assure you, that since I acquired my -10 almost two months ago, I am seriously in love with her...him??:) Just an awesome airplane.

Best,

Welcome new Denver builder!

Hey Mike! Like you, I finally realized the first part of my dream and got my PP-ASEL in 2006 here in Denver. Been wanting to do that for 20 years! Part II of the dream, which I am hoping will not take another 20 years, is to build an RV9. There's a great group of RV builders out here in Denver so you shouldn't have trouble finding help when you need it....or the inspiration that come swith an aftermnoon flight in someone else's finished project. I don't know of any other -10 builders but there are a few -8, -9 and -7 builders within a 50 mile radius...and a bunch flying.

I'd be happy to come out and assist you any time - from bucking rivets to inventorying your parts. I, myself, am brand new to the E-AB community and still a number of months away from ordering my tools and -9 kit. I would gladly exhange my nimble hands for the experience I'd gain. Drop a note anytime!

Good luck!!
Paul

Thanks guys.

Cattflight - Paul, I have a little way to go before I order my tail kit too. Are you a member of a local EAA Chapter? If so, which one?

gipsowh - I have a friend who has a finished 7A. He's offered to help, so I feel like I won't be too alone. I plan to look into a local EAA chapter ASAP. Also, I have people in my neighborhood who are "car" people who have offered their services as well.

Everyone else - Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll be posting progress reports and/or desperate technical questions sooner rather than later. :D

Back