What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another newbie here....

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
Hello to all,

My Stats: My name is Paul and I live along the Gulf Coast in Foley, Alabama. I'm 48 years old and work as a Registered Nurse. Private pilot for a long time and have about 650 hours. All my flying is VFR. I Currently own a Cessna 152.

I ordered the entire Vans RV 7A quickbuild kit Friday! I've been reading everything I can get my eyes own for several months and have found this forum very helpful. I'll be building in my house, (divorced so no wife to fuss about that). Looking forward to the challanges and learning I'll face.

I know I'll be asking many questions of you guys and want to take this opportunity to thank you in advance. Looking forward to getting to know some of you.

Safe and Happy flying
Paul
RV7A

Welcome, Paul !

Howdy, Paul. Welcome aboard. You're going to love flying that RV, and the viz out of a RV compared to the Cessna just can't be beat.

Have a great build!

Best,
Doug

In the house?

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forums/helpline. You are building in the house?? As in the living room or such? Neat. Many years ago, I built the wooden Cassutt wing in my living room since it was heated/air conditioned so the wood and glue dried beautifully. That was with wife version 1.0 and she helped! :D

Version 3.0 loves to fly side-by-side........A good decision you made!

Regards,

ps. Click on Transition training on the left side of Doug's home page and I believe you'll find a guy in Alabama that you can go and ride with, logging time toward your insurance required training,

Hi Paul,

You can't go wrong with a 7A quickbuild, and you'll find lots of others in the area building them. Seems like 2-3 RV-7/A builders stop by my hanger every day :)

Cheers,
Rusty (within a few weeks of first flight)

Welcome Aboard

Paul,
Congratulations on your purchase. I'm in Geneva, AL so if there's anything I can help you with, let me know. I'm slow building and working on the tanks. There's a couple of 7's being built around this area and mines a 9A.
Good luck!

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the encouragement! Thanks for the tip on logging flight time too. I did not know I would need to do that. I have been trying to find out how much insurance is going to cost but so far have come up empty handed. Even my current insurance company at first said sure they would insure it. Over the last two weeks, I've called them back twice and can't get them to tell me anything. Any idea how many hours I'll need to have logged before I might be insurable? Again thanks for all the input.

Paul
RV7 A QB
Foley, Alabama

Three

Hi Paul,
So far, all the guys I've trained were asked to get three hours of transition training. I do that and cram a bunch of stuff into those hours including emergency engine failures, no-flap landings, go-arounds, etc. The whole regime of stalls is covered, then a bunch of takeoffs and landings.

To a man, they're all amazed at the ease of flying these little rocketships! After you become accustomed to the speed and learn to manage it, they're a total joy to fly........no problem for you at 650 hours.
Regards,

Three hours

Thanks Pierre,

When my "Time" comes maybe I can hook up with you. Thanks again.

Paul Gray
RV 7A QB
Foley, Al

Insurance

Hi Paul,
Falcon insurance in Kerrville, Tx. is recommended by the EAA. Their phone # 866 647 4322 and ask for Jim Nelson. They insure a bunch of RVs and other experimentals. Most coverages in the $60,000-$85,000 hull values run around $1700-$2100/year range or thereabouts. We have ours with them too.
Regards,

Back