What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another new RV-12 Builder

Nautique

December was a big month for my. After a lot of reading and research I finally decided it was time to build an RV-12. If it wasn?t for all the support for builders that I saw on this site I would probably still be trying to make a decision.
My empennage kit was delivered this week and I opened it up yesterday. Everything was shipped but I did have a little damage to the Stabilator skins.
I am looking forward to this build and all the support I will get from the RV community.
I will try to keep everyone up to date on my build at http://craigsrv-12.blogspot.com/
I have posted some initial pictures but the real building starts today.

Welcome to VAF

What a great day to start the build! 1/1/11

You are gonna have a great time!

In looking at the skin damage you are going to want to replace them. Contact Vans and see what they suggest.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I ordered my kit 20 November with their 8 week wait, it is supposed to ship 18 Jan. I ordered it all at once to save considerable on shipping. As I recall in the fine print, damage is strictly between you and the shipping company, Vans don't want to get involved, sure a shame there. I am picking mine up at the shipping dock, hope to eliminate at least one sloppy loading forklift.
Glad to see someone near my status of build, will give me someone to race building with :D I have never built a plane either, expect to spend a lot of time studying the details.

Welcome! You've come to the best spot on the web for info and so much more. You'll figure that out as time goes on. Our RV-12 (S/N 120467) build begins next Tuesday when 12 high school kids will open the box on a 12 emp. It will be fun to follow a build beginning at the same time. Good luck, and keep us all up-to-date on how it goes.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi, and Hello :)
I am still waiting for my empenage kit. I am a little afraid about damages wich can occur during the shipment. There are lot of miles from Aurora to Europe... we will see.

Have a nice time with building :)

Vans and Shipping Damage

I arranged my shipping through Van's. My fuselage crate was damaged on arrival - almost certainly the result of being dropped by the local carrier on the short last leg of the trip between leaving the dock and arriving at our home.

Two of the fuselage skins were damaged and had to be replaced. However, Van's were great to deal with - Barb got straight onto it and was very helpful all along. Dealing with the various insurance companies and loss assessors was a long process though. Don't want to do that again.

Hi all,

I'm another new RV-12 Builder. I received my wing and empenage kits on 11/30/2010.
With some help from the local EAA chapter, I've finished the vertical stabilizer and I am starting on the rudder.
I've been looking through the posts and have found the answers to a lot of questions.
Thanks to everyone for all the posts.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I will do my best to post to my build log as I go. I will also be reading all of your build logs as I have already learn a lot from them. One of my favorite's is Dave G's. Entertaining as well as very informative.

I very confident that Vans will help me resolve the shipping damage issue. They seem to be very customer oriented and won't leave me hanging.

Where are you in LA?

Greetings, I live in Big Bear and have a completed RV12 with about 25 hours on it. Don't know where you are building your project, but let me know if you want to see the completed unit or need any help.

Gary Steube

[email protected]

Pleased to see that there are so many new builders of the RV 12. I had better add myself to the list of new builders too. My empenage kit arrived on 12/23/10, what a Christmas gift! No damage to the shipping carton or to the contents. Serial #120468. I am in Anthony, NM which is very close to El Paso, TX. Anyone near here?
Henry

rv-12

Craig,

Welcome aboard! I helped a friend build his 12 and it is a fantastic plane!! You've come to the right forum for expertise.

Best Wishes,

John

When I received my finishing kit(Canopy), I could see that a lift fork had penetrated the side. I was very relieved to find no damage(very lucky). The fork just missed the canopy and hit nothing. Take the gentleman up on his offer to let you see his 12. Mitch Locke lives about 90 miles from me and I have made several trips to see his. It was a big help. Happy building. I am on base getting ready to turn final on my 12.

Gary,
I would definitely like to see your completed RV-12. I fly out of Camarillo (KCMA) and fly up to Big Bear on occasion. Once the weather clears up a little I would love to fly up your way.
If you get down to Camarillo anytime soon let me know and I?ll buy you lunch

Just to give everyone a quick update on the parts that I received that were damaged. Vans quickly shipped out new parts and sent me all the documentation that I would need to file a claim with Federal Express. Fed ex sent me a check within two weeks to cover the damage.
Everything was handled great and I am building away.

Back