What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Manual to Electric Flap Conversion Discussion

coffeeboy

Planning my next update on my RV-6A (I have a feeling the "upgrades" will never end) and I want to convert from manual to electric flaps this winter when I install the Almost A 14 Mod (the Titanhank version). Planning on using a PHAviation flap Actuator and the TWI Intelligent Flap Control, and a on-off-(on) switch. with this equipment, is there a need for purchasing the Vans' kit? its currently 1.3k+, and besides the new flap weldment i'm not really seeing anything useful in it. Has anyone done the conversion without using the new weldment?

I took the 'handle' off and had it rewelded to the right side so the motor is covered by a side plate. I added another tube inside rosette welded for torsional rigidity. The actuatot motor is mounted on the right side in a manner similar to the original design. The center 'post' serves as a mount for my fire extinguisher and leaves room to step between the seats for entry/exit!

I took the 'handle' off and had it rewelded to the right side so the motor is covered by a side plate. I added another tube inside rosette welded for torsional rigidity. The actuatot motor is mounted on the right side in a manner similar to the original design. The center 'post' serves as a mount for my fire extinguisher and leaves room to step between the seats for entry/exit!
Do you have any photos? I love the idea of this, might try it myself!

Back