What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Harness 5th point question

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi everyone,
well the last time I posted I got a bunch of good answers from those who have been there before me. Now I have another one. All the mount points I see for the 5th point, including Vans, has the attach hardware below the floor panel with the belt going through a hole in the floor. Doesn't this cause chaffing on the belt where it goes through the floor? Perhaps I'm just over thinking this but I was thinking that since I am rolling my own mounts I would mount the attach hardware for the belt so the belt was perhaps 3/16 above the floor. I know this puts more of a lever arm on the hardware under the floor but that could be made heavier to compensate. So the question is: What am I missing?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Paul

I think I have the answer on this one

After studying the drawings and pictures it dawned on me that the belt would not see the sharp edge of the hole in the floor because the belt is guided by the radiused corner of the mounting plate. As long as the hole opening is wider (front to back) than the mounting plate corner, the belt is supported by the smooth curve and not the sharp edge. Thanks anyway. If anyone sees any flaws in my thinking, please let me know.
Paul

Back