What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another fuel caddy

Ausflyer

Well Known Member
There have been many good caddy ideas on this forum. But they didnt meet my situation. I have put one together from readily available parts. The parts are not that cheap here in Australia, but should be readily available in the States.
Here are a few photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rodvclark/RV12FuelCaddy?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPO2_Hps7v1bQ#
If any one is interested I will list the hardware.

I have only used it for tank/system testing to date but it works well.

Rod

Rod
I'm interested . What are the parts and where did you source them?
Thanks

John
Melbourne

Just a word of caution about those "see through" filters. While this set up should be fine, the paper element can come loose from the threaded top and allow debris to bypass the filter and enter the tank. I found this out the hard way on my trailer tank. The vibration from the road caused the filter to fail. You set up is for hanger use only and should be fine, but the canister type filters may be a better choice.

Also, make it a habit to pump the first quart or so back into the "jerry can" if you have not used the re-fueler for a while. The hose needs to be flushed of contaminants. This may sound extreme, but I have found junk in the hose that wound have ended up in the tank. You just can't be too careful with fuel contamination.

JMHO

Pressurized portable tank

I want a portable fuel tank capable of holding pressure. I do not have a pickup truck and have to transport fuel cans inside of my vehicle. Most cans are not air tight and allow gasoline vapor to escape into my vehicle. I have to drive with the windows open. What I need is a non-ventilated tank that can withstand the vapor pressure of gasoline, even inside of a vehicle on a hot sunny day. A bonus would be the ability to pressurize the tank with nitrogen. The pressure would force the gasoline out the bottom of the tank to refuel the airplane or lawnmower, no pump required. What do you think? Is this idea feasible and is there anything like this already available?
Joe

I want a portable fuel tank capable of holding pressure. I do not have a pickup truck and have to transport fuel cans inside of my vehicle. Most cans are not air tight and allow gasoline vapor to escape into my vehicle. I have to drive with the windows open. What I need is a non-ventilated tank that can withstand the vapor pressure of gasoline, even inside of a vehicle on a hot sunny day. A bonus would be the ability to pressurize the tank with nitrogen. The pressure would force the gasoline out the bottom of the tank to refuel the airplane or lawnmower, no pump required. What do you think? Is this idea feasible and is there anything like this already available?
Joe

I think the Goatthroat product is what you have in mind. It can be used with 5 gal Blitz cans, which are designed to withstand pressure from gas vapor and can be transported in an enclosed car. The only reason why I didn't get one of these Goatthroat pumps yet is the insane price tag...

Not a fuel system

The tank I described would not be part of a fuel system, just a portable tank for transporting gasoline from the local gas station. Any type of gasoline container can be dangerous. I have often hoped that the concentration of gasoline vapor escaping from cans inside of my vehicle was not great enough to explode as I opened the vehicle door. The door switch could make a little spark while turning on the dome light or trunk light. I think that a non-vented tank is safer as long as it is only opened outside away from any ignition source.
Joe

Thanks for the tips

Larry, thanks for giving us the benefit of your experience. I will keep an eye on the filter cartridge, even though it seems pretty robust. As for the cleanliness of the delivery hose, I suspect that from new it wasnt totally clean inside. Now when I pump a few litres into a white plastic basin and let it settle, it's free of sediment. BTW, the delivery hose is part of the pump kit.
Rod

Thanks for the tips

Larry, thanks for giving us the benefit of your experience. I will keep an eye on the filter cartridge, even though it seems pretty robust. As for the cleanliness of the delivery hose, I suspect that from new it wasnt totally clean inside. Now when I pump a few litres into a white plastic basin and let it settle, it's free of sediment. BTW, the delivery hose is part of the pump kit.
Rod

Rod

No worries mate! ;)

Keep an eye on your hoses also. I replace mine every 2 years.

Gas cans

I want a portable fuel tank capable of holding pressure. I do not have a pickup truck and have to transport fuel cans inside of my vehicle. Most cans are not air tight and allow gasoline vapor to escape into my vehicle. I have to drive with the windows open. What I need is a non-ventilated tank that can withstand the vapor pressure of gasoline, even inside of a vehicle on a hot sunny day.
Joe

Joe,

If just an airtight gas can would work for you, look at the Scepter MFC military fuel cans. I have personally seen one of these bounce around in the back of a pickup truck (enclosed) with cap for weeks during the heat of summer. Does not leak--at all.

Unfortunately, they aren't sold new anymore, because gas cans have to be CARB compliant in some states. Those leak and vent fuel vapor into the atmosphere, of course. Thank you CARB. Used on Ebay run around $50 each.

Some consumer cans vented through the spout seal reasonably well.

Adam

More details

I added a few more photos to the Picassa web album listed above.

Here are some materials specs:
Trolley height 51 1/2 in. Pneumatic tyres
Ply backing board 13 ¾ in W x 12 in H (Vans crate of course)
Pump Alemite 501A, Filter Alemite FA2. Includes hose
Suction hose 29 in, Delivery hose 59 in
Suction pipe: 24in x 3 ½ in x ¾ in OD, Nozzle: 3 ½ in x 8 in x ¾ in OD
Al bracket: 1 ½ x 1 ¼ x 1/8 x 4 inches angle extrusion
Suction hose fitting: 1 ½ in stub off top of pipe supplied, welded to 1 ½ in of ¾ in OD tube
Delivery hose fitting: gal steel bush welded to 1 ½ in of ¾ in OD tube
Dist between pump outlet and filter inlet: 2 ¾ in
Cradle material: 1 ½ x ¼ MS flat bar, 13 ft required, 1 x 1 x 1/8 x 3 inches MS angle
Cradle inside dims: 9 ¼ H x 21 W x 14 D. Bent in a 4 in vyce using a close fitting steel tube

In Australia the price of the pump and filter varies widely. Caltex Energy was cheapest. The elbow is a hydraulic fitting, and was expensive. In a bigger city I’m sure you could get cheaper alternatives.

For the ¾ in OD tube, try to get a handle from an old motor mower. I used a scrap truck fitting, but the walls are pretty thick

Shorter generic trolleys are available, but not recommended. You need the pump to be well above the jerry cans because of the stiffness of the hose.

Please send a PM if you need more info.

Rod

Last edited:
Inspection...

Dear Mr Ausflyer

This is to inform you that the 'Worldwide Fueling Devices Inspection and Safety' has determined that it is necessary for any individual manufacturing, utilizing, and/or otherwise operating such devices must conform to inspection immediately.
Our suggestion is that the individual package and ship (at the manufacturer's expense) such device for shipment to WFDIS world headquarters Texas USA - whereupon inspections and continual usage will determine the efficacy of the product.
If upon use of the product it fails to meet WFDIS standards such product must remain in Texas, USA indefinitley.

Sincerely yours,
Anonymous
:rolleyes:

Back