What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another elevator trim question.... eh, not as easy as it looks

JoeB

.......For those of you like me not headed to OSH ...... :(

I have yet another question about the empennage attach section.

After routing my Trim cables through the HS and in to the Elevators I am attempting to "screw on" my trim cable anchor brackets that are attached to the cover/inspection plate.

Must be the builder here is slightly stupid, but there is physically no way those brackets are going to make it so the anchor is half way engaged on the trim cable threads as the plans call...
I did some Archive searching and all I found was that others with this problem simply drilled out the LP4 pop rivets that are holding the anchor bracket to the cover........Others have used screws?

I am guessing if it was supposed to be this difficult to install Vans would have not had me rivet it all together yet... SO I AM ASSUMING, I perhaps done something wrong.

Has anyone else run in to this? What is the best fix?

thanks again for all your inputs, I am always happy that I am not building some fast glass airplane every time I get on here when my brain stops working and you all do the hard thinking for me.......

Joe Benjamin.

Empennage 99%
Wings 60%
99.99% to go........

I used screws on mine.

And, billet anchor units, not the welded nut thing Vans sells.

It can be done....

I was able to spin mine on. It involves considerable bending of the covers (wd-415?) as you spin them on the cables. So much so that I was sure the stupid things would be damaged, but they survived the process just fine

Drill out the pop rivets

I drilled out the pop rivets, screwed the nuts to the cables, then re-did the pop rivets. You are right. Nobody can screw them on while attached to the plates.

Wait until you try to adjust the elevator trim. There is twice the travel in the right trim cable than in the left. If you search this site, you will come up with fixes. I simply set the trim motor to the middle of the travel, then set the trim to have "zero" trim in the middle motor position. Then when you adjust the trim motor up and down, the right trim looks rather normal, but the left trim turns down (nose up) rather normal, but will not go up past the middle position. They do not move together.

I have bragged to people about how Vans manuals are so complete and so detailed. But these are are a couple of areas that I cannot understand why he doesn't fix.

I drilled out the pop rivets, screwed the nuts to the cables, then re-did the pop rivets. You are right. Nobody can screw them on while attached to the plates.

Wrong. See my post above. I did it, but that's not to say drilling out the rivets isn't an option, but it's not the only option.

No disassembly required

Todd is right, they will screw on without disassembly but will require the cable to be bent considerably especially for the final few turns.
I suggest you leave those things for final assembly so you only have to do it once or twice before you fly the airplane.
The billet anchor units are nice aftermarket parts but do not help in making the installation process any easier, they just look like they are going to last the life of the airplane.
Keep at it;)

A little progress

Well I don't know how but i Managed it get them on

I just ran the trim test ad it looks like I only get 25 degrees on tab deflection versus the 35 in the full nose down position that the plans call for... So next going to start searching for where that 10 degrees went

I installed mini corner nut plates on brackets, then used screws to attach. It is "up trim" you for sure will need, especially solo. Both should be no problem getting within limits.

I used the billet anchor nuts, too. But I ignored Vans' sequence and threaded the cables without attaching them at the servo end first. This way I had enough slack to pull out the cable and easily thread the bracket/cover combination on. Then I loosely installed the covers and attached the servo end before adjusting everything. Vans' sequences are not an absolute. It's a good idea to check out MyRV10 for 'gotchas' and other info - there are other places where varying the sequence saves you from trouble. There is also a section in there discussing the trim issue (easy to miss as there is a shorter writeup elsewhere) that is pretty complete on how to adjust everything. The link is http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/maintenance/20080622/index.html.

Last edited:
Where to buy...

Does anyone know who might have the machined trim tabs for sale anymore? Every link I tried either didn't work or takes you to a page that is useless.

I am using the IFLYRV10.com CNC machined achors also. I am thinking that if I go a few more turns it should get me the extra 10 degrees of travel I am missing, to do so however I am thinknig I will need to Drill out the rivets, I don't think I can man handle those much more with out hurting somthing.

~Again thanks for the help everyone, hearing all the OSH talk is making me want to build fast enough to fly there next year.........
won't happen since I am only half way through the wings, but oh well still fun to set goals.

~JOE

Two Thumbs Up for IFLYRV10

I received and email from Steve explaining to me he was having difficulties with his web site. A couple days later the web site was functional and I was able to order the trim brackets. I had them in a matter of days. Thanks Steve for the great costumer support.

I just installed mine tonight, and am only getting 25 degrees down on both. I am guessing that I have to re drill out the pop rivets and screw it in some more.... Correct?

Back