What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another corrosion protection question

N355DW

Well Known Member
After reading many of the threads here, I have a another question.

Living in FL I do want to add some corrosion protection to my project. I am experienced with spraying and have a nice HVLP system with breather apparatus. This time of year the humidity is not so bad, but I don't think I'll be able to get everything sprayed before it comes back.

I spray lacquer on musical instruments I build, and blushing is a real problem here in FL, even in a climate controlled room. I don't want to spray a wash primer or epoxy in my climate controlled shop area, so the next best as I see it is the Akzo epoxy primer sprayed outdoors.

My question is, is there a problem with blushing with this product? None of the material I can find suggests that it might be, and all the wash primers do say blushing can be a concern.

Anyone experienced with products that tolerate the humidity, please feel free to chime in!:)

thanks,

Damon

Forgot to mention

I did want to mention that I have several sheets of alclad aircraft aluminum from a previous project that have been sitting inside my hanger for the last nine years or so. I live about 18 miles from the coast, and sure enough there is a small amount of corrosion on them now, so I do believe that some sort of protection is in order for me.

Water-reducible epoxies are humidity tolerant

My company had a job evaluating paint removal systems for the Airforce. One of the primers we used in the tests was so tough to remove I decided to use it my my -4. It is a water-reducible (soluble) primer manufactured by Deft. It is an aircraft paint that is thinned with 8 parts DI water to 1 part mixed paint. It works great and sprays well, though mixing epoxy with water took some getting used to.

Good luck,

Dean

My question is, is there a problem with blushing with this [akzo] product? None of the material I can find suggests that it might be, and all the wash primers do say blushing can be a concern.

While not Florida, not even a hint of a problem spraying Akzo in all four Kansas seasons...and it does get humid at times. Luv the stuff...tough a nails, chemical proof, and no over-spray in the garage...plenty of 'over-dust'...but it's not stuck to anything. Highly recommend. Get it from graco...less $$ than spruce.

Best,

Jim

My company had a job evaluating paint removal systems for the Airforce. One of the primers we used in the tests was so tough to remove I decided to use it my my -4. It is a water-reducible (soluble) primer manufactured by Deft. It is an aircraft paint that is thinned with 8 parts DI water to 1 part mixed paint. It works great and sprays well, though mixing epoxy with water took some getting used to.

Good luck,

Dean

I used the Deft for my priming as well, and as stated earlier, this is great stuff and tough as nails. I was showed a little trick from one of the old time paint gurus, mix it with Alcohol in place of water, it sprays much nicer and dries quicker. This is the primer we used on the "heavy iron" repairs.

Deft 44-GN-7

Guys,

Where did you purchase the Deft 44-GN-7 primer from?

After doing an internet search I could only find one place, and they were sold out.

Thanks,
Aaron

Back