What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another beginner Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
As stated in a previous post, I am running the wires for the Pitot. Now my question is: should I stop the wire run at the edge of the wing and put a molex connector there or should I estimate how much wire it will take to make the run to the dash board? I figure the latter might be desired to minimize the number of wire junctions.

Thanks
ken

Ah, a different question than I thought. Heated pitots do burn out, so you should leave yourself some means of R&R. At a minimum enough slack wire so you can cut and re-crimp once or twice. But some of the heated pitots come with connectors already on the end of their leads, if that's what you've got then the question is answered - put on the mating connectors.

I will put on mating connectors at the Pitot (I will have not choice anyway). This was a question about at the root of the wing. Slack is a good idea.

I will leave a coil of wire.

Thanks
ken

You may want to leave some slack at the wing root (no connector for now). That way you have something to work with should you need to cut the wire in the future. In the mean time, there's no connector, less cost, less to fail or add electrical resistance.

Bevan

Run the other way?

I connected and completely wired the instrument panel and fuselage and left the coils of wire for landing light, pitot heat, position lights and strobes hanging on the side of the fuselage. Then when I mounted the wing all I had to do was run the wire through the conduit and put connectors on the ends. That way there are no extra connections at the wing root and you can get all of the cockpit wiring completely finished.

Andy

I plan to run my wires into the fuselage and put a connector there. There's so little room between the wing and fuselage on the RV-3B that I'm building, I expect this to be more convenient.

Dave

Back