What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another -9A builder joins the rank

I've finally decided, ordering the tools and tailkit tomorrow when everyone's open!

After years of dreaming, Finally!

-Wayne

Welcome Wayne

Good choice you made. Now, do not rush. Get that tail and go sloooow but every day. Just a little bit but every evening. Every weekend put some extra time. Instead of gym do 30 minutes deburring session. Or sand a rib. You will be surprised how fast it will be and how healthier you will become, both physically and mentally. Your accounting skills will improve as well.

Wayne,

Welcome and good luck. Building has been some of the most enjoyable time of my life. Great mental stress reliever (not always, but usually).

I would be interested to know what number you end up with - just how many of these are out there being or been built.

greg

9A

Wayne,

Welcome aboard! I agree with Greg about the therapeutic/stress-reliever value ... except for the %^&* tip-up canopy.

Now you get to decide which of the special interest groups you want to join:
- tipper-slider
- nose dragger - tail dragger
- prime - no prime - partial prime
- O-320 v. O-360
- carb v. FI, etc, etc, etc
So many decisions, so little time; but VAF is certainly the place to help you make those decisions. :D

Welcome Wayne,

I'll echo the above comments. "A little each day, keeps the stress away!"

If you drive down and pick up your tail kit, be sure and get a ride. If you've never ridden in an RV before, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard! And I know what you mean about dreaming for years. I first started the dream as a 10 year old way back in 1965. Took over 40 years to start making the dream come real. Still probably have another year or so to go before the dream will take to the air.

Welcome!

Always good to hear about new 9A builder. You will enjoy the project...most of the time.:D

welcome

congrats, and Welcome. My only piece of advice is do the vertical stab first. I got the same advice but didn't listen and now after doing the v-stab, rudder and elevators, I don't like my H-Stab. Just ordered the parts and will re-do the H-Stab

Welcome

Tips:
Do something on the kit everyday, even for half an hour. Don't fixate on how much work you have left to do.

Keep your hangar doors closed and/or smoke cigars,
Steve
5 Sierra Fox

Welcome to the club, Wayne. You're not just building one of the better aircrafts out there, but you're joining a great community. Enjoy the journey.

Mike,

Why do you say build the VS first? What is it about your HS you are not happy with?

Easier learning curve...

Mike,

Why do you say build the VS first? What is it about your HS you are not happy with?

The first rivets you set in the HS are in the leading edge, and are some of the hardest to set for a newbie... the VS will give you just enough experience to do the HS without making mistakes.

VS before HS

Mike,

The VS is much less complicated than the HS. There are a number of places on the HS that are more difficult to reach than the VS.

Basically after going back to my HS, I realized that a number of the rivets are not as flush as I would like. While my tech counselor found them fine I don't think I would be happy with the finished product.

My intention is to rebuild the HS and probably donate the first to my local EAA chapter. Maybe to use as a teaching tool for young eagles.

That explains it. I am planning to have an “experienced” RV builder come over and help with those rivets. Maybe real soon… Those rivets on the leading edge look real scary to me.

That's good progress Wayne

I am 399 kits before you. When do you plan your first flight?

Back