What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Annual inspection??

This may sound like a silly question, but my RV6 that I've had for a year is my first aircraft I've owned. Is it required to get an annual inspection every 12 months? Is there much difference hiring one person or another to do it or are they all about the same and how much should I spend? What else am I required to do, and how often? (prop overhauls, etc)

Thanks
Steve

This may sound like a silly question, but my RV6 that I've had for a year is my first aircraft I've owned. Is it required to get an annual inspection every 12 months? Is there much difference hiring one person or another to do it or are they all about the same and how much should I spend? What else am I required to do, and how often? (prop overhauls, etc)

Thanks
Steve
Airplanes in the experimental amateur built category are required to get an annual condition inspection. This inspection may be done by any A&P mechanic or by the person that holds a repairman certificate for that particular airplane.

Mechanics vary and it is up to you to pick a good one.

The requirements are loose for aircraft in this category but it would be prudent to look at what is required for similar standard category aircraft parts and take heed.

What it should cost would depend on what work is needed.

FAR fun and games...

You should look at the Operating Limitations for your RV6. Most contain wording like this:

No person shall operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection performed in accordance with Appendix D of Part 43 and found to be in a condition for safe operation.

Then it goes on on how to record it in the log book. The amusing part of this is that when you go to Part 43, 43.1 (b) states "This part does not apply to any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate.... Of course that is void because the Operating Limitations told you to use it as a guide for the inspection. Gotta love the Feds.

Anyway, it is treated like an annual inspection except that an A&P can sign it off, no IA needed. The A&P has to inspect the systems and structure. If you can find a mechanic familiar with RVs or homebuilts in general you will be way ahead and even further ahead if he/she will let you help.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Steve, what Pierre says is key - get together with other RVers. There is an amazing amount that you can/will/need to learn through that process. While RV's are becoming very "mainstream", they still need just a little more care and feeding than a spam can. With the number of them approaching 6000, there is no reason to not learn from the collective experience.

Even though you will need, as others have said, an A&P to sign off the inspection (or the original builder, if he has the repairman's certificate for your plane and is willing), you can and should participate in the inspection process.

Enjoy!

You can do ALL the work.

Thanks
Steve

Just so you know, as an experimental aircraft owner, you are legally allowed to do any and all work required to make the aircraft pass the annual condition inspection.

Typically, this means two visits from the A&P for me.
  • Fist, he inspector goes over the airplane and gives me the "defect list"
  • I repair/service the airplane to resolve all defects.
  • Then the inspector repeats step one and if all defects are resolved, notes it in the logbook(s) as required.

Saves me a ton of money.

Just FYI,

Hummmmmmm,

This inspection may be done by any A&P mechanic or by the person that holds a repairman certificate for that particular airplane.

You might want to check this..!! Repairmans cert is only good for the plane the repairman built....

Anyway, it is treated like an annual inspection except that an A&P can sign it off, no IA needed. The A&P has to inspect the systems and structure. If you can find a mechanic familiar with RVs or homebuilts in general you will be way ahead and even further ahead if he/she will let you help.

Bingo...!!

Typically, this means two visits from the A&P for me.
Fist, he inspector goes over the airplane and gives me the "defect list"
I repair/service the airplane to resolve all defects.
Then the inspector repeats step one and if all defects are resolved, notes it in the logbook(s) as required.

Saves me a ton of money.

DING, DING, DING......We have a winner...!!!!!!

This inspection may be done by any A&P mechanic or by the person that holds a repairman certificate for that particular airplane.

You might want to check this..!! Repairmans cert is only good for the plane the repairman built.......
Well I have to defend myself here. Doesn't "the person that holds a repairman certificate for THAT PARTICULAR AIRPLANE mean what you said. Or maybe I need to take some writing lessons at the local junior college? :)

Well I have to defend myself here. Doesn't "the person that holds a repairman certificate for THAT PARTICULAR AIRPLANE mean what you said. Or maybe I need to take some writing lessons at the local junior college? :)

Larry, you see, it depends on what the particular meaning of "particular" is.:p

Back