What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle Vavle W/ CS......

Michael Brown

Guys...

I am in the process of getting prices and ideas on the powerplant for my -7. Right now I am thinking of going with Performance Engines AEIO-360 220 HP. With this being an angle vavle and the fact that I want a constant speed prop (BA). Is this going to be too much weight on the nose?

Check these guys out..... I am very impressed with the customer service.

www.performanceengines.com

Since the drag increases significantly as the speed increases the extra cost of that engine and increased fuel burn (assuming you choose to run it full power) make it difficult to justify putting it on $ wise. You will of course get a bigger RV grin on climb out and have bragging rights :D

If money is no object (MD=Mucho Dinero?) Go for it! If you are at all concerned about $ factor the parallel valve engine wins most evaluations for RV use.

One data point: 4 new parallel valve cylinders can be purchased for less than 4K. 4 new angle cylinders, over 7K.

http://www.factorycylinders.com/lycoming/360.htm

Can't wait for that RV Grin

I have my Fathers -4 that I have to pass. I am more concerned about the weight than the money..... Its only money, Right?

The weight can be mitigated with money and reducing other weight adding options. One reality of engines (engine builder claims aside); The more power you extract from a base engine, (above its design HP, all other things equal) the lower engine longevity. Money. A question that comes up from the insurance people "Does the aircraft have more HP than Vans recommends?" Money. Enough money can solve any problem that will arise from your plan.

Big piles of money :D

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Michael,

Have Mattituck build you an IO-360 parallel valve ECI kit engine w/ FI and the duel electronic ignition system of your choice.

The combination of the FI and EI will give you well over 180 HP w/o modifying the engine.

Check the W&B page on Dan's web site. I think you will find the -7's don't have the aft CG issues of the -7A's. This lets you put just about any prop on your -7 that you want. Do a search, a number of people have claimed their Catto prop will out run their fixed pitch prop. Going with the Catto will save you a LOT of weight. My two bladed Catto tips the scales at 9 lbs.

Bang for the buck

I have built an RV-7 with the FADEC 180hp and I have built an RV-8A with the IO-360 200hp. I really preferred the FADEC, it seamed to me to be everything the 200hp was, with benefits of being easier on gas and much easier to fly.

One more note about performance engines I REALLY like Ron's work I have used two of his engines in the past with no problems, only good vibes, see if he will put you together a FADEC.

Some one mentioned Mattituck above, Mahlon Russell is great to deal with. He is who I purchased the FADEC from. Would do it again in a heart beat!

Back