What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle of attack mod?

dinowal

As I am hoping to complete wings in the next couple of weeks, I was searching for the angle of attack mod. i'm sure I saw somewhere. Can't find it; can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, DEAN..

Angle of Attack Mod

Are you going to buy an EFIS for your 12? If so, take a look at the GRT EFIS as it has a little advertised, built into the EFIS, derived AOA at no extra cost. I don't know how well it works, but it is a legitimate technology. Paul Dye, an aero. engineer and former US space program launch director is working with GRT to refine this. Derived AOA is used on our space shuttles until the airspeed is low enough that the AOA probe wouldn't be incinerated during reentry. Advanced Flight Systems has a stand alone AOA that can be integrated with their EFIS. There are two other stand alone AOA vendors in this country but I don't remember their names. Good Luck

I have a Lift Reserve Indicator (LRI) for my RV14. I had one on my RV6 and really liked it. On the -6, I mounted it down into the glareshield with the top half of it exposed - like a tachometer on a '71 GTO. It was in my field of vision during landing at all times. I plan on doing a similar install on my RV14. I had an LED mounted under the glareshield that shined up into the instrument for night vision. It is a simple system requiring only the pitot/static lines running between the probe and instrument, unless you want to heat it. There are two companies selling this system as far as I know - Alpha Systems (www.alphasystemsoao.com), and Lift Reserve (www.liftreserve.com). You can get the Alpha Systems version at ACS for $745. The LRI is ordered directly from the owner in Columbus for $450 - call him. As far as I can tell the two basic systems are identical. I had a blue line I put on mine that indicated best rate of climb AOA and also was very close to my best glide AOA.

Angle of attack guage/meter for "do-it-your-selfers" for $50 bucks or so....

Check out www.ch601.org/resources/aoa/aoa.htm

My thought being; our -12, being a glass panel aircraft...needs electrical power to function. Now the rotax has self powered ignition. However with loss of power (and back battery fails) it could get interesting. With "lift reserve meter" that does not need power....would get you safely on the ground (suffice as airspeed and stall warning all in one).

Last edited:
Many THANKS

Thanks guys, just what I was after! I have decided to use shielded cable for my wing lights & have used 3/8 dia. bushings, so may be able to get the small tube in there with the wires. Seems an excellent & safety enhancing modification, thanks to Joe Gores for inventing it, &Gary (txaviator) helping me find it! Cheers, DEAN

Back