What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle Aluminum

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Hypothetically speaking of course. If I were, per chance, to mess up the fabrication of some important bracket made from angle aluminum (and let's say I messed it up maybe three or four times - just for dramatic emphasis) , would there be any reason not to buy a length of the same thickness and side dimensions from Home Depot? Just to satisfy my curiosity, I mean, what I want to know is if there is anything particularly special about the stock angle aluminum Van's provides in their kit? The very long length I bought appears identical to what Van's provided in the kit ... er, I mean, ahhh, look! There's an RV-10 flying over my house!

Unless you can be sure it's the same grade, I'd steer away from it. I want to say the stuff you're using is 2024-T3 but I don't have my packing/inventory sheets handy. In any case, I don't recall ever seeing any kind of marking on the Home Depot stuff to tell me what it is. I've also been given to understand there are differences in the extrusions (inside corner squared instead of rounded, etc.) though I've never bothered to look. This is an excellent reason to get out there and meet local builders; I have a lot of stock left over from the -6A which I've passed on when asked. It goes both ways - there have been times I've been the borrower. And, when push comes to shove, ACS can usually get the metal to you within a couple of days.

Aviation extrusions have a radius along the interior corner of the 90 degree bend. Home Depot aluminum extrusion typically doesn't. Guess which one is stronger? Unfortunately it isn't the stuff from Home Depot.

Call your friends at Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, or Van's.

Another option...

Joe,
What size do you need? I have some extra (but I don't recall the exact dimensions but I think it's 3/4x3/4x.063) Another option is to call around to one of the FBOs at either Warrenton or Manassas. They might have some angle in stock.

Last edited:
I probably have some as well

I could also help you maybe um get it done right this time :)

I am in Leesburg so not that far from you.

If whatever this "bracket" is holding isn't necessary for safety of flight, and you can live with it breaking, then by all means use whatever metal will get the job done. However, since you said you've given this piece a few shots and messed them up, I'm going to guess that it must be important. Like maybe the horizontal stabilizer attach angles? (Your signature line says you're working on the empennage, and a lot of people mess those up - myself included.)

All the home improvement store aluminum I've seen is unmarked and therefore of unknown chemisty, temper, mill origin, production spec, etc., and should not be considered suitable for use on aircraft in general - even if ALL the physical dimensions are identical.

Not a total loss

Thanks everybody. Once again, I'm very glad I asked. I'll order some proper angle and do it again. But really, it's not a total loss since through my practice on the Home Depot stuff, I've pretty much got this aluminum angle fabrication worked out. It was only after finally getting a bracket I can be proud of that I realized I was making a big assumption about the Home Depot stuff. Live and learn.

Todd,
It's the 1x1x1/8 stuff and I need at least another 10.5" for the F-1010A bracket.

John,
Thank you for the offer of help. I appreciate it. But after doing it wrong so many different ways, I think I can get it right again. By the way, I enjoyed the write-up about you in the latest "Stick and Rudder" and I'd love to come by for a visit some evening when it's convenient, to see your airplane in person.

Thanks again everybody,

Been there

Hypothetically speaking of course. If I were, per chance, to mess up the fabrication of some important bracket made from angle aluminum (and let's say I messed it up maybe three or four times - just for dramatic emphasis) , would there be any reason not to buy a length of the same thickness and side dimensions from Home Depot? Just to satisfy my curiosity, I mean, what I want to know is if there is anything particularly special about the stock angle aluminum Van's provides in their kit? The very long length I bought appears identical to what Van's provided in the kit ... er, I mean, ahhh, look! There's an RV-10 flying over my house!
Just went through the same thing, with my rudder stops of all things. Nothing wrong with the first ones I made, but thought, ?I can do a little better.? I think I?ve got 4 or 6 scrap ones in my ?spare aluminum box? but ended up ordering a section of angle from Van?s. Van does give us enough stuff to build an airplane, but not much extra for mistakes er I mean practice. I looked all over for the stuff with the inside radius, but no luck?.

I looked all over for the stuff with the inside radius, but no luck?.

Mike,

It's amazing to me that I missed the inside radius. I bought the stuff, put it side-by-side with the stuff from Van's and said, "the same," then happily went to cutting. I did wonder about possible differences in the chemistry of the Aluminum and so posted my question. After reading some of the replies, I went and looked again specifically at the inside radius and couldn't believe my eyes. It's not there on the Home Depot angle. ... Events like this worry me about what other things I could be missing. ... This is why I don't hesitate about asking even stupid/basic questions.

The Home Depot stuff might be 6063-T6, about half the strength of 6061-T6. Of course it might not be that good.... It might be worse.

No way to know, they probably wouldn't have material certifications available.

Back