What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

andair pump and filter combo

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
In my rv14 I am installing the andair filter and pump. How tight should the connection be between these? Is there a torque value? It's had to get a wrench on the pump side of the connection.

Also the barrel of the fuel filter rotated around the axis of the connector and I can loosen and tighten the barrel. There is wire to retain it but the wire does not prevent rotation of the outer barrel?

What is the oil in the pump when it is shipped? Smells like gun oil?

The preservation oil prevents the internal parts from corroding/rusting and keeps it lubed before you run fuel through it. I drained the oil out of mine and had it installed for almost a year before I ran fuel through it. Bad idea as the pump didn't work. It had frozen over time and I had to send it back to the U.K. for repair. I would highly suggest you connect the pump to a battery or power supply and run fuel through it once a month to keep things from binding up inside.

The safety wire on the fuel filter should prevent anything from rotating. You can cut the safety wire and unscrew the filter to take it apart for cleaning and inspection. If the AN fitting is rotating within that assembly, that would give you a chance to tighten it up.

I don't think Andy specifies a torque setting for connecting the filter to the pump. It is a pipe thread fitting so use your Teflon fuel thread locker (NOT Teflon tape) on a couple threads and tighten enough so its pretty snug as with any NPT connection.

Hope that helps.

In Chapter 5 of the manual it says to finger tighten an NPT joint, then turn 1.5-2 turns from there. It isn't possible with this assembly. I can do 1/4 turn max.

Was using Permatex 2 as a thread sealant on the NPT connection.

Somehow my filter got a tad overtightened to the pump...I've never been able to get it unscrewed, which means I have to remove the whole assembly to inspect/clean the filter at annual. Not much additional work, but a bit of a pain. So...don't overtighten it! (It's never leaked, so I just leave it alone and deal with removal/reinstallation of the whole kit and caboodle).

Back