What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair fuel selector screws

Davea320

Well Known Member
Anyone know what this means in the Andair valve instructions? Do I really need Loctite 648 or will blue 242 be adequate? I hate to buy a bottle of 648 for just these little screws. Also what are “stagged” screws.
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3006.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 109
Blue

I used blue and have removed them no issues. 648 provides less hold strength. I don't remember what mine specified. it's been a few years.

Screws

Anyone know what this means in the Andair valve instructions? Do I really need Loctite 648 or will blue 242 be adequate? I hate to buy a bottle of 648 for just these little screws. Also what are “stagged” screws.
Thanks
Dave

No idea what stagged means but they should be pinned.
There's a little dimple on the frame at the edge of each hole. When you're happy with the orientation and the screws are permenant, they each get a hit with a sharp punch in that hole. A tiny bit of screw edge gets pushed into the hole and keeps the screw from moving.

I'm fairly sure "stagged" is a misprint for "staked", which means using a centre punch and hammer to distort the end of a threaded fastener, preventing its nut from loosening off.

Once the screws are in place and you’re done, take a centre punch , position it just outboard of the screw head onto the surface of the housing and hit the punch. It will deform the house a bit pinching the material next to the screw head securing the screw.

Loctite or staking

Keep in mind the instructions give you an option. How difficult are the screws to remove after staking them?

Back