What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair extension/installation

dhmoose

Well Known Member
I'm going into the shop tomorrow to install my Andair fuel valve extension (the valve has already been installed long ago). The extension has two roll pins that are supposed to permanently attach the extension piece to the valve AND the handle plate. With this in mind, it seems like the only way to remove the tunnel cover would be to remove the Andair handle and fascia plate. Seems like a PITA. What have folks done? My limited search turned up these results:

1) Only install one roll pin in the extension/handle plate and "permanently" keep the extension/ handle/tunnel cover as one unit. When you install the tunnel cover, you line up the extension with the fuel valve and go without a roll pin on the extension/valve. This plan sounds like it could make the placement of the tunnel cover difficult/annoying. Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of not having both roll pins placed although I can't see a way that the extension would come out of the valve or handle in flight.

2) Some folks have sectioned the tunnel cover in front and behind the valve so you don't need to touch the valve when you remove the tunnel cover. Sounds like a reasonable plan.

3) Some folks have created a big hole in the tunnel cover. The cover simple goes over the valve handle/fascia plate.

4) Some folks seem to simply remove the handle and fascia plate prior to removing the tunnel cover.

Any ideas or pros/cons? Thanks!
David

I did a combination of 2, 3, & 4, but for slightly different reasons than accommodating the valve. I have Aerosport Products lower console and arm rest. I wanted to be able to do a conditional inspection without having to remove the lower console. This is why is did 2 and 3. The valve stem comes up through the forward section of the arm rest, which I have a small hole to accommodate the valve stem. When I have to remove the arm rest and the aft section of the tunnel cover, I just do 4. I also put an access cover on the side of the tunnel to better assist getting to the fuel filter.

Hey David,

We sectioned ours off only forward of the fuel selector and it has worked well for us so far. During phase 1 you will want to look in the tunnel often, after that not nearly as frequently so its not really a big hassle in the long run.

Mount the fascia and handle on a separate base that screws to the tunnel. Pin the extension at the bottom and let the top float. Then when you unscrew the base you lift the fascia, handle and base together. No tunnel chopping, no problems.

Thanks all!

I appreciate the feedback. It's been interesting to see and hear the numerous ways folks have tackled this task.

David

Back