What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair boost pump question

stamper

Well Known Member
Did everyone use the andair and filter with the 3/8 ends or did some of you get the 1/2 and then have to us a reducer to go from pump to valve. I have one and it is the 1/2 was wondering if it would be best to return it for the 3/8 so I wouldn't have to reduce it down. Also I see pictures with the filter placed between the pump and the valve. Is this the way everyone did it. One last question if you put the filter on to the pump direct what type of stuff was you using on the threads as a sealent. Thanks

I think the standard is 3/8" for everyone, so if you have a 1/2" it would be wise to change to the 3/8" version. Not sure if there are fluid adapters for that, but even if there were, it would be one more fitting that could leak.

The instructions indicate the filter should be up stream of the pump, so between the pump and cut off switch is a logical place to put it.

I used the same thread sealant there as any other fuel fitting - Your choices vary. Many threads on hear about different products you can use - just note that Fuel Lube is not a sealant.

Thanks Mark. I will call acs tomorrow and see if they can exchange this to the 3/8. Wouldn't the filter go after the pump if it was to be upstream from the pump. Shut of valve, pump and then the filter. or am I just not getting the picture.

Here is how it looks on my installation

IMG_1135.jpg

I was not at all happy with the Andair fuel filter i received with my fuel pump, filter, and fuel selector valve package for my RV-10. It is extremely small in comparison to the AFP filter and after reading a thread here on the forum on flow rates and the size of the filter media in square inches, with the tiny filter media inside the Andair I just was not comfortable with it. I removed it and installed the AFS filter instead.

Thanks Mark. I will call acs tomorrow and see if they can exchange this to the 3/8. Wouldn't the filter go after the pump if it was to be upstream from the pump. Shut of valve, pump and then the filter. or am I just not getting the picture.

The stream is

Fuel Tank-Shutoff Valve-Boost Pump-Mechanical Pump-Fuel Injector

So Upstream is between the shutoff and the boost pump. Downstream is between the pump and mechanical pump. Think of the flow of a river and what is upstream and downstream.

http://myrv10factory.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/installing-fluid-lines/#jp-carousel-1226

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comebacks. Called aircraft spruce they wanted over $100 bucks for a restocking fee so I guess I'll just buy two reducers and reduce it down. Thanks for the link Mark. I'll also look at the filter. Thanks again everyone.

For what it's worth, I cut open an Andair FIA375 fuel filter. The flattened-out pleated screen measures 7 square inches in area.

Last edited:
Back