What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

And yet another reason to build a -9(A)

N941WR

Legacy Member
Back when I first started building there was a lot of chatter about how quickly the tires Van's ships with the kit wear out.

Yesterday I was working on my gear leg fairings and took this picture:
(click to enlarge)

That tire has 65 hours on it and a 124 landings, mostly on pavement. The other tire looks the same. At this rate, they will dry rot before I wear them out. :D

Agreed

My tires look great at 225 hobbs hrs and 300+ landings. I bought tires to swap at condition inspection, but the originals look like they might be good until next year.

Dang it Bill, I thought I thought my tires were holding up so well because I was so good at landing - then you go and tell me they all work like this.:D

I changed my tires at around 260 hours (most of those hours as a 9A). I had over a mile taxi from my hanger to the runway so they got a lot of extra wear that most RV's don't see. My brakes needed changing long before my tires. Now with my plane as a 9 instead of a 9A I doubt I'll wear out brakes as fast. We'll see about the tires.

Cam

Back