What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

And so it begins...

comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
I've often heard that when the project starts to really look like an airplane, you are half done.

Well, here we go! Passing the half way mark!

14kz09h.jpg

What are the three most important steps for doing your electrical:

1. Planning
2. Planning
3. Planning

This is where Vansairforce comes in. I believe this is the time to reflect on just how important the Vansairforce list has been to me. With the installation of the first ground wire, I'm planning the electrical and it is VERY important for me to see what others have done. I see the $40,000 panels as well as the "Get into the air like a Piper Cub" panels, and I know I'll be in there somewhere.

Tons of great ideas, tried and tested, successes and failures to look through, with a good search engine to look back with.

I'm planning a simple IFR panel with VOR/ILS, Dynon EFIS, a tablet backup with ADS-B and attitude add-on. I see many folks try this, and each with a different opinion. But they clearly describe their opinion, so it is easy to pick and choose to match MY opinion.

Here are the 10 tips I'm thinking about as I proceed (All from Vansairforce)
=======================================================
1. Simple is better - Cockpit complexity in a crisis can kill.
2. Wait until the very last minute to buy electronics.
3. Build the airplane YOU want, not what others want you to have.
4. RV's like an autopilot for long distances and IFR
5. Vacuum or not, plan for a redundant electrical system.
6. When it is not a safety of flight issue, you have a lot of flexibility (flashlights for landing lights? Really?)
7. Pay more attention to folks who have flown than folks who are going to fly.
8. Remember, things change. Plan for that.
9. If anything can go wrong, it will.
10. Be careful of OWT (Old Wives Tales)
11. If you have the money, sometimes the "Cool Factor" is worth it. But not all the time.
12. Plan of being over budget by 20%

And the ground wire goes to: My flap relay!

fepbmp.jpg

CC

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

David, congrats on reaching the cusp----------all downhill from here.

One other thing to add to your list. Plan on changing stuff at some time in the future. So don't run wires through the sub-panel if you can route them underneath. This will make it easier to get under the panel and move stuff without having to take off connectors. Serviceability is important. Leave yourself some service loops and extra length in the wire bundles.

Great ideas!

I have a three piece panel, so the service loops will allow me to drop them down for service.

What is a good way to anchor wires routed underneath the sub panels?

Thanx!

Dkb

One other thing to add to your list. Plan on changing stuff at some time in the future. So don't run wires through the sub-panel if you can route them underneath. This will make it easier to get under the panel and move stuff without having to take off connectors. Serviceability is important. Leave yourself some service loops and extra length in the wire bundles.

Back