What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

And Another Newbie...

andymeyer

Me... 33 yrs old, Single, ~1500 hours in everything from sailplanes to AF jets. I live in the west suburbs of Chicago - St. Charles. Anyone nearby? I've got a two car garage and a 24'x22' basement - walkout. The basement is the plan because it's temperature controlled.
I've done a bit of woodworking which has already come in handy, but viewed metalworking as a higher art. I'm having fun learning though.

I got my tail kit about a month and a half ago... Two weeks later my tool kit showed up after spending time getting my basement set up - sink installed, outlets, air, walls, etc... Right now, the stab is clecoed together and waiting to be disassembled. I have yet to pick an anticorrosion system - lots of information - no concise guide that I've found yet.

My plans right now are for a tip-up tailwheel 7.

Also trying to get the girlfriend(serious) a bit involved, but I'm not pushing too much... She's been flying with me three times so far and has enjoyed it, but she still has her reservations.

I've been lurking here and on the matronics sites for a little while and trying to suck up as much information as I can... My brain isn't this big though... lots to learn... It reminds me a bit of Air Force training - the drinking from the firehose effect.

This a great resource - thanks to all of you who have gone before.

Andy Meyer

Last edited:
Sympathies.........

Welcome aboard Andy.......sympathies for having to endure the minus temps :D while we Southerners gloat :eek:

There are quite a few AF types on here and one Mr. Paul Dye (Ironflight) is a flight director on the Shuttle flights for NASA, flies an RV8. Another one, Smokey, lives in Florida and flew fighters in Iraq, has a Rocket and RV 4, so you're in great company.

More than anything else though, are the friendships you'll make building and meeting other RV'ers.......a lifetime of great times. Plan on Sun 'n Fun in the spring for an absolutely fabulous time and lots of RVs.

Keep pounding those rivets........oh, tell your sweetheart "Hi" from the guys.

Regards,

Hello back...

Hi Andy,

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 36, no kids, two car garage, planning a tailwheel 7 tip-up, cold climate (Toronto). Biggest difference is I don't have the hours you have nor the AF experience (that, and I made my serious girlfriend my wife quite some years ago :rolleyes: ).

I'm a little behind you. Just put in my order for the empennage and QB wings and fuse yesterday. I'm going to do the emp at a builder assist facility here, which should take a full-time week, but should help me catch up.

I agree this is a great resource. I've been a long time lurker myself, while working up the courage to put in my order.

I look forward to tracking our progress together.

Regards,

Welcome

Welcome to one of the greatest groups of people you could imagine. I don't know how I would have completed my plane without the Internet.

Do a little everytime you have a few minutes and progress will come quickly. One of our locals built a 7 tip up from slow build kit from start to flight in 16 months and 2 weeks. This was done with a full time job and considerable work travel!!!!

Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask questions to this wealth of information.

Hey Andy! Welcome to VAF (officially!)! I'm down in Normal, IL and there are a bunch of us from central and northern IL on the board here. I'm in Chicago frequently, and I'd be happy to meet up with you sometime! Are you part of a chapter up there?

Welcome Andy!

Like you, I was in the low thirties (31) when I started building my RV-6 slow build and with kids and family it ended up taking 5.5yrs. With the improvements in the -7 kits, with the matched drilling and all, I suspect you'll finish in MUCH less time :) .

Welcome again to the greatest hobby on Earth.

b,
dr

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I'm in the same boat as you, I just received my -7 tail kit and tools this week. I'm 31 y/o and live in McHenry, IL (NW of Chicago) and right now I'm setting up shop in my walkout basement too. Just finished installing lighting and electrical outlets. Next step is routing air lines and building a paint booth, then I will be able to start!

Chad your website and postings have been very helpful, and Dan's site is outstanding!! Thanks to everyone in the RV community!!

andymeyer said:
Me... 33 yrs old, Single, ~1500 hours in everything from sailplanes to AF jets. I live in the west suburbs of Chicago - St. Charles. Anyone nearby? I've got a two car garage and a 24'x22' basement - walkout. The basement is the plan because it's temperature controlled.
I've done a bit of woodworking which has already come in handy, but viewed metalworking as a higher art. I'm having fun learning though.

I got my tail kit about a month and a half ago... Two weeks later my tool kit showed up after spending time getting my basement set up - sink installed, outlets, air, walls, etc... Right now, the stab is clecoed together and waiting to be disassembled. I have yet to pick an anticorrosion system - lots of information - no concise guide that I've found yet.

My plans right now are for a tip-up tailwheel 7.

Also trying to get the girlfriend(serious) a bit involved, but I'm not pushing too much... She's been flying with me three times so far and has enjoyed it, but she still has her reservations.

I've been lurking here and on the matronics sites for a little while and trying to suck up as much information as I can... My brain isn't this big though... lots to learn... It reminds me a bit of Air Force training - the drinking from the firehose effect.

This a great resource - thanks to all of you who have gone before.

Andy Meyer

We are nearby ... KC09, you can come by and see us. :)

Wow...

I've been busy with the holidays, and finally got back here... I should be here much more often. I appreciate the words of encouragement and the welcome and I'm certain I'll be more and more active as I get my heels dug in on the project.
I bucked and squeezed a few practice rivets the other day with a bit of guidance from my Tech Counselor Ron from EAA 790 (Barrington, IL) - I'm a member there, as well as 770 (in Springfield, IL.)

Thanks for the warm welcome, and it's great to be here.

Andy

andymeyer said:
I bucked and squeezed a few practice rivets the other day with a bit of guidance from my Tech Counselor Ron from EAA 790 (Barrington, IL) - I'm a member there, as well as 770 (in Springfield, IL.)

Thanks for the warm welcome, and it's great to be here.

Andy

Andy, welcome aboard. Tip here. I have had several new builders stop by the shop before getting started on their emps. I have found it is much easier for a new builder to start with the VS first. Why? It is much smaller to work with than the HS and still provides you with every skill you will need to finish the airplane...............plus it is small enough for you to haul around and shoot dow the naysayers:) Truly, I have found it much easier for new builders to start with the VS.

Back