What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anchor nuts on fibreglass wingtip

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I am installing the wingtips, and the plans call for riveting the nutplates directly on the fibreglass. Will this method not be conducive to cracks in the glass over time? Will it be better to lay and glue about a 1/2 inch aluminum strip on the inside of the wingtip and rivet the nutplates on top of the aluminum strip? This will spread the forces over a wider area. Am I concerned about a no issue?
Thanks.
Johan

I attached my wingtips with piano hinge to hide the screws. I used 426 "A" soft rivets http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/solidalumrivets.php which will not crack the fiberglass. When I rivet into the glass I coat each rivet and fill each hole with an epoxy/microballons mix, then squeeze the rivet. If you choose to purchase the AN426A rivets be sure that they never get mixed up with the AD hardened version! Here is a link to the thread on using piano hinge attachment method. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=554474#post554474

Wingtip rivets

I just installed the nut plates on one tip. I used AD rivets with no problems. I set the rivets to achieve a minimum shop head.

Wingtip install

Thanks for the replies. My question has now turned to twofold! My initial concern was radial cracking arising from the rivet holes or between nutplates in the wingtip glass, this happening over time. Since the nutplates are flat and the upper and lower wingtip are rounded, stress point might develop leading to cracks. By putting an aluminum strip that runs the length of the wingtip under the nutplates might distribute the pressure points over a larger area, thus preventing stress points. The hinge mounting method will take care of all of this.
I must admit I never thought of cracking while squeezing the rivets, but it make much sense! So I learn, did not know about softer rivets either!!
Since the thickness of the wing skin and the wingtip glass are different, do you need a spacer between the hinge and wing skin?
Johan

Not a Problem

I have multiple wingtips for our airplane for racing and cruising. I have mounted them with and without an aluminum backing strip. All the strip appears to do is make the initial platenut installation a little more complicated. I do enlarge the mounting holes in the fiberglass to 3/8" and they are installed with just under 50 #8 flathead screws each.

Bob Axsom

Click bond

I was quoted $295.00 per side for the click bond RV10 wingtip installation kit. Basically $600.00 for the two tips.Too much for me. Sure is a very nice way to install. Just using the standard Vans installation with nut plates seems the quickest, but I must admit I am drawn to the hinge method.
Johan

Johan,
In regards to the spacer, you cut the joggle off of the wing tip, so the tip now butts directly against the end of the wing. This way the tip and the wing are on the same plane against the hinge halves. Within my post is a link which if you follow, will take you to several photos and a how to.....
It sure looks clean when its done!

I was quoted $295.00 per side for the click bond RV10 wingtip installation kit. Basically $600.00 for the two tips.Too much for me. Sure is a very nice way to install. Just using the standard Vans installation with nut plates seems the quickest, but I must admit I am drawn to the hinge method.
Johan

If I'm looking at the plans right, there are 42 nut plates in each wing tip. The ClickBond wing tip quick install kit comes with 100 nut plates, which should be enough for both wing tips... plus some.

Looking around, TheFlightShop.com has the kit for $295... so half of what you were quoted.

I'm probably going to pick up a kit at OSH this year plus a few more for my VS/Rudder Tip fairings.

Back