What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN4-32a bolts

Trevor778

Well Known Member
Hey guys and girls.

Im just in the midst of mounting my aileron brackets and the plans call for an an4-32a bolt. problem is I have an4-32's. Im trying to think of a location on the tail wings or fuse where I may have used my 2 an4-32a's in place of an4-32's. Any ideas?

maybe

Fuselage center section has a couple of 4-34a bolts going thru the spars. Drawing 11, top left. Close.....

The only difference in the 2 bolts is one is drilled for safety wire through the threads of the bolt and the other isnt. No big deal at all.

Last edited:
Do yourself a huge favor and just order a bulk pack of various AN bolts. Aircraft Spruce has a "homebuilders" kit or you can order an assortment of whatever you want:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ha/bolts/assorted_hardware.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/index.html

You can also find bulk stocks of AN hardware on eBay.

I would also buy a few hundred nuts too, I can't tell you how many times I've torqued down a lock not and thought "I'm done here, this won't be coming off again" only to be proven wrong. Personally, once I torque one down, it's done. If it gets taken off I throw it away.

Another builder recommeded getting just plain nuts, as you can take those on and off.... then once you're ready for final assembly swap out for lock nuts. That idea scares me though, as I'm sure I'll miss one (or a dozen).

I disagree, this may be a big deal. I think the OP is rightly concerned that he may have installed a bolt without safety wire in a location that calls for it. He should track this down.

Whenever I did something that was not final - ordinary nut instead of lock nut, finger tight not torqued, etc. - I wrapped it with some red tape that was hard to miss, as a red flag.

The only difference in the 2 bolts is one is drilled for safety wire through the head of the bolt and the other isnt. No big deal at all.

Isn't the -32a undrilled, and the -32 drilled through the threads, not the head??

That's right. "A" is undrilled, no letter is drilled thru the threads, "H" thru the head. The OP should be looking for a location where he used a stop nut instead of a castellated nut and cotter pin. Probably a joint subject to rotation.

Back