What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

an RV-10 quest begins

togaflyer

Well Known Member
After much research (and soul searching) I commited myself to an RV-project. The final push is when one of the RV reps took us out to their RV-10 demo at Sun and Fun and my 6'5 220lb son sat in the back with room to spare. It was impressive. I also had the chance to fly with my hanger neighbor in his RV 10. We have owned a Saratoga for a number of years and have been very happy with it. It is difficult to find the comfort, speed, and hauling ability in any newer models. I came back from Sun and Fun and told my wife that I have found the perfect replacement for our Saratoga. She was a bit shocked when I told her "all we need to do is build it". After the initial shock and much more explanation, she said it made sense, (which was a bit shocking to me). So, I sent the order in. I do have a few questions for this group. I ordered the quick build along with the finish kit. Im also considering adding the FWF kit. Is this a wise or foolish move. Is it ok if the parts sit in a hanger in S/W Florida for a couple years (hopefully max) or would the summer heat and humidity cause problems. Also are there items that should be omitted from the finish or FWF order and replaced with aftermarket items.
All your input is appreciated.

Rich,
Welcome to VAF! The 10 is a great airplane, and I'm sure you'll love it. Lots of 10 guys here that will probably chime in.

To answer your questions:
1) The quick-build kits are very well done by the build guys in the Philippines, and will save you a bunch of work.
2) You'll either need to buy Van's FWF kit or roll your own...the choice really comes down to where you source your engine. Buy from Van's and the FWF kit should drop right in. Buy from one of the engine shops and you may have to do some modifying.
3) Can't tell you for sure about SW Florida weather's impact on your kit parts...some have found corrosion to be an issue if they leave the blue protective plastic on, others have not. YMMV.
4) You'll have plenty of time to decide what parts to swap out with aftermarket stuff...for now, just stick close to the kit supplied parts for the airframe. You can customize when you get to the cockpit.

Hope those answers help, and once again welcome to VAF!

I wouldn't make the fwf decision right now. Use the time building the other kits to formulate an opinion on what you need. I bought about a half the fwf kit and if I were to do it again, I would roll my own.

Same here. I pieced out my FWF parts ordering only what I needed. If you stick to a strictly plans built plane, your better off with the FWF kit from Vans.

If you plan on using a Lyco IO-540 then I will respectfully disagree with not purchasing the firewall forward kit from Vans.

I'm nearing the end of RV10 #5 right now and RV10 #6 is in line right behind this one. I have used Vans FF kit on every one of my RV10's and everyone of all the other RV's I've built except my very first RV6 (was no FF kit back then). I even purchase the RV10 FF kit for my Rockets. I find that I use almost every component except for a couple of nickel/dime non essentials. The only item I would mention is it helps to know what alternator you might want. Lots of 'opinions' here but the 60amp alternator in the kit has always worked out perfect for me and comes with all the brackets and hardware. Exhaust will be straight forward unless you have something super special in regard to a sump in mind. Even then Vans will ask you when you place the order.

Well worth the cost and a real time saver from figuring out what you need in my opinion.

I also purchase Vans electrical kit. I use all of the 'big' cables then I snip all the tie wraps on the 'harness' and use the wire as needed. Comes in real handy and for me it's worth it just for the big cables :rolleyes:.

The above can be stuffed into the finish kit crate and will save you shipping fees later.

Good luck and enjoy the ride :).

I wouldn't make the fwf decision right now. Use the time building the other kits to formulate an opinion on what you need. I bought about a half the fwf kit and if I were to do it again, I would roll my own.

I purchased the engine and prop and the entire FWF kit from Vans. I would do this again. Everything is there and it is a no-brainer.
The finish kit is a different story. I would highly recommend purchasing several items from outside vendors. The windows are the first thing that come to mind. Nose wheel and axle are another. If you do a search, you will find a thread on this subject.

I have a few months before shipping so I will do more research on some after market items. It sounds like ordering an entire package is not a bad way to go if I decide going that way. Thank you much for your responses I know there is so much knowlege on this sight and its a big! investment of funds to make a poor and costly decision.

The reason why I said wait for awhile is that there are some decisions you may not have made or are prepared to make today. Van's kits are clearly put together for the masses to have a very sucessful build and an attempt to keep prices reasonable. There is nothing wrong with building a default standard kit.

Some folks like to upgrade some of the components for a variety of reasons. It's not my intent to promote or convince anyone that these are better than the standard kit options, but only to inform that options are out there. Only you can decide what is best for your project.

BTW, I do agree with Bill. The Cee Bailey windows are a much better final product than the ones in the Finish kit, plus you don't have to go through all the issues getting them to fit. If they were available when I purchased my Finish kit and knowing what I had to do, I would probably go that route. But if you are on a budget and have the time available, the Van's windows are in majority of flying RV-10s.

Tim Olson has lists of the contents of all the kits on his site. The FWF contents can be found at: http://myrv10.com/files/kitparts/FF-10_IO-540_CT10-3.DOC

If you order the Van's FWF kit and the Van's OEM engine, you also need to order the bushing kit from Van's for the alternator. It's about $30. It should be standard in the kit and I don't know why it isn't. Search the archives if you want the history behind this issues.

The FWF kit assumes that you are installing the standard OEM Lycoming 540. If you have another engine and the accessories aren't identical, some of the lengths of the controls and hoses may not be correct.

If you have extensive avionics and perhaps AC, you may want a 70a alternator instead of the standard 60a.

Many builders upgrade the Aero-Classic or Niagara coolers to an Airflow.

If you install a panel other than the default, such as the Aerosport Products, you'll need your control cables to be about 3" longer than what's in the kit. Some have made the ones in the kit work, but they are extremely tight.

With non-standard accessories, the hoses may not be the correct length. Other mods like a Barrett cold air sump or Rod Bower's Ram air relocated the position of the fuel controller. Other folks want custom hoses from either TS Flightlines or Bonaco.

So if you decide to do some of these modifications, then there really isn't much left in the FWF kit except for the exhaust and baffle kits.

I think the same logic applies to the electrical kit. Van's has designed a very good kit that meets a very frugal VFR design standard and makes it easy for a very non-technical person to install sucessfully. The problem is that very few RV-10s that I've seen that the builder was satisifed with this electrical design. Especially if you intend to fly IFR. I am of the belief that the majority of RV-10 builders either elect to implement on of Bob Nuckoll's Z designs or go with a Vertical Power unit like a VP/X or VP-400.

With all these options, there is no right or wrong decision. The problems with the forums is that everyone tends to promote the solution they used and will debate like they are defending their religion.
  • Determine you requirements
  • Research the options that will meet your requirements
  • Then make the decision on what to purchase to satisfy you requirements.
I can or anyone else can share why we made the decisions we did, but that is just antedotal information. Our mission requirements may be different and require different approaches.

It's going to take awhile to build the first couple kits. Use that time to do your research and formulate your decisions. If it turns out you want a basic, plans built RV-10. Great! Or if you want a loaded RV-10 with all the popular modifications, that is great too! The decision is yours. Good luck with your build.

Bob and et all, excellent points about the FWF kit. With that part of the installation so far down the road and so many things to assess, I will hold off on that kit. Once I near that end of the project, I can better evaluate the parts needed from the FWF kit. I did come up with a list of omissions for the finish kit. Replacing these items with after market items. If you see anything that should be added or removed, let me know.

1. Brake discs
2. Nose wheel
3. Nose wheel axle
4. Main and nose tires/tubes
5. Windshield and windows.

Back