What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An Extra Set Of Eyes......

Geico266

Well Known Member
When I learned to fly ultra lites in the pre-LSA era (okay, a long time ago) I started a "program" of having a buddy check my plane over closely, while I checked his. No matter how "ready" I thought I was these guys would seem to find something I overlooked, and visa versa. I would hope to think we made the skys safer.

Yesterday, I spent a full day with an A&P doing the annual on my -10. I'm not the builder so I need an A&P signature. He always seems to find a few things that need attention and I always appreciate his advice and help. Nothing major, but there always seems to be something, and by being there I can answer any questions, and learn!

This got me to thinking about the UL days and how you guys (as builders) do your own "annuals". Do you have the "extra set of eyes"? Would it be better to have someone else do your condition inspection? Maybe trade off with another RV-buddy?

I dunno, just a good topic of conversation about safety.

Last edited:
Agree

Larry,
I completely agree. Maybe we can even make it part of the local EAA chapter meetings. It is amazing to me how others find things that I seem to have what I thought was a good rationalization for.

YEP!
An extra set of eyes can be worth their weight in Gold.
Go ahead an do your annual condition inspection, then have someone else look it over before buttoning it back up.

It had been years since I installed my brakes and put tires on the wheels.
It was very helpful having someone else around who has built several planes and just did his condition inspection. He knew everything I had forgot, or hadn't yet done in the first place..........such as

how to grease the C/S prop, change and rivet the brake pads, do the compression check, check the mag timing; and a nice little tool for packing the wheel bearings.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Absolutely do that...

It's amazing what even A@P/IA's can miss. I was looking in the cockpit of an RV-7 in Phase 1 and noticed shiny pieces of metal that connect the rudder cables to the pedals and asked the owner what those were made of. The answer was .062 aluminum!! The A@P/IA overheard us and came over. He'd missed them as well, during the build in his hangar. Instantly grounded airplane...he'd wondered what those long strips of steel, that were left over, were for. True story and I'd bet there are many similar ones.

Regards,

Maybe this would be a good time for everyone to use the "buddy system" to check their planes over at condition inspection time. You just might be surprised at what someone else will find.

.............. Lets be careful out there!

Back