What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An easy question for the builder

tsorce

Unfortunately I'm not the builder of my RV-6A, hopefully in the future I will become one. I'm thinking of adding an AOA to my Dynon D10A system which would require me to change the Pitot Probe and add small tube from the Pitot Probe to the panel. The question is how hard is it to run the tube from Pitot Probe in the wing to the panel?

Thanks for the help
Tony

I did this on my -6A.

Original build was just the pitot tube and line. The pitot line was installed just as Van described in the build plans.

I added a Dynon D10A to the panel with the AOA. This required an additional line between the pitot mast and the D10A. I installed the additional line just below the pitot line, attached to the front side of the wing spar. It parallels the pitot line and is located about 1.5 inches below the pitot line. The fuel tank needed to be removed for my particular implementation, but that was no big deal at the time.

Unfortunately I'm not the builder of my RV-6A, hopefully in the future I will become one. I'm thinking of adding an AOA to my Dynon D10A system which would require me to change the Pitot Probe and add small tube from the Pitot Probe to the panel. The question is how hard is it to run the tube from Pitot Probe in the wing to the panel?

Thanks for the help
Tony

I added the LRI angle-of-attack indicator to my flying RV-6 many years ago and ran the additional line down the same conduit as the wires in the wing. Biggest issue is getting the tube past the spar in the cabin but that is accomplished by sending it through the same access the wiring uses.

Like Noel says, it's very easy on the -6/-6A as the tanks do not have "Z" brackets. Just pull the left tank and run the new tubing parallel with the pitot line.
I installed the AOA for my D10A for about $4. I just added another piece of aluminum tubing to the back of the original pitot with the forward edge bent down 60?. Works great.

Back