What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN bolt for brake peddles

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Looking for the AN 3 bolt size number for that one long bolt (to attach the brake peddle) that replaces the two short attachment bolts.

Thanks…..

Looking for the AN 3 bolt size number for that one long bolt (to attach the brake peddle) that replaces the two short attachment bolts.

Thanks…..

On my 7A, AN3-56 with castleated nut and cotter pin. Washers as needed to shim.

I used a piece of 3/16" stainless steel rod, threaded both ends and drilled for cotter pin and castle nut each end.

I used a piece of 3/16" stainless steel rod, threaded both ends and drilled for cotter pin and castle nut each end.

I did the same, except using a brass rod since it was easier to find locally. 3' of brass was cheaper than a single bolt from ACS.

I bought a bag full of them for the same price as 4 of them from ACS. I have at least 4 of them left. Just pay shipping if your interested.

AN 3-56 thanks. Making my Osh shopping list out before the trip. I’m toooo lazy to make my own, but thanks for the input.

Just be aware that when I was looking for them the 3-56 drilled hole version was out of stock at every supplier for over a year. Granted this was last year. I finally went with a 3-61 with a couple -3 washers on either side and that also worked just fine.
If Jibby212 has actual AN3-56 drilled hole bolts that he is offering for shipping costs only that is a great deal.

Last edited:

Thanks…..

If you are replacing two pre-existing short AN3 bolts with one long one, the long bolt may cause more issues that it solves. The holes on both sides of the brake pedal must be in perfect alignment, otherwise forcing the long bolt through willl just create binding. Because I had drilled both sides separately, I found that using two short bolts resulted in a smoother movement. Had I drilled them at the same time with a long drill bit, the longer bolt might have been an improvement. YMMV, but hope this helps.

Good points and Jeremy, thanks for offering those bolts. I haven’t decided if I want to convert the peddles since they work fine. Just figured I would add those bolts to my Osh shopping list just in case in the future I decide to do the modification. This is the reason we are really never done working on our planes. To much temptation to tweak it just a little more.

Back