What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN-218 vs. VA-146

osxuser

Well Known Member
I'm putting an autopilot into a -6 this weekend, and am in the process of fabbing a new RH wing bellcrank for the servo to connect to. In the process i've run into an interesting dilemma. The airplane currently has (it appears anyway) true AN-218-4 flange bearings in the original bellcrank. This is odd enough given that it's a fairly late model (I believe late 90's) kit.

From what I can tell all kits now come with the Vans part VA-146 which is a in-house fabbed version. No problem, I have a couple of these lying around, and was going to use one for the new bellcrank. Unfortunitely, the ones I have are from my -4 kit, which are simply machine aluminum, with bushing pressed into them, not bearings.

Whats REALLY interesting to me, is that the current P/N VA-146 IS a bearing NOT a bushing... as confirmed from my 2005 vintage -7 kit. My question follows:

1. Any real disadvantage to using the bushing type over the bearing type? I realise that you can't torque down on the bushing.

2. I know why Van's stopped the AN bearing's and went to the bushing, availability and cost... so why did they switch BACK?

Back