What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amps required by alternator and ADI?

szicree

Well Known Member
Anybody know how many amps are required by a 60 amp Plane Power alternator? Same question for a Trutrak ADI. Thanks.

Hmmm

Do you mean how much does the alt field draw? The ADI without an A/P is probably around 100ma (0.1amp).

About 5 amps

Yup, exactly.
Its about 5 amps max, but it does not take away from the 60 amp total "RATED" capacity.

However I would not run a 60 amp alternator at 60 amps continuously, you will burn it out unless you had some very efficient and active auxiliary cooling. Most alternators are happy up to about 65% continuous, 75% may be (kind of like a Lycoming). If you need more amps, get a bigger unit, they make a 70 amp unit. However how anyone gets those kinds of amps I don't know. I have everything and the kitchen sink and not much in the way of LED lighting and I am maxed out at 35 amps, all up total.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm actually not concerned about how much it will provide, but rather how much the field will draw. I'm trying to calculate the total amount of juice that will go from my main contactor to my main buss.

TT ADI actual current draw?

Resurrecting an old post...
The ADI without an A/P is probably around 100ma (0.1amp).

Walt, or anyone,
Is this 0.1 amp current draw estimate an accurate figure for the TT ADI (without AP)?
TT install manual does not say. Just says to use 2 amp CB/fuse.

Back