What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ameriking AK 451 questions

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Doing the annual condition inspection and have the opportunity to get a good price for a 406mhz AK 451 to replace my existing 450 ELT (which seems to be working fine), after reading the installation manual and some threads here I have some questions:
1. Does the supplied whip antennae HAVE to be vertical, it looks about the same dimensions as the existing one that I have installed horizontally under the tail fairing so could fit in the same space.
2. Some posters said you have to replace the existing coax with the supplied coax, is this correct?
3. It seems from the manual that GPS position is only supplied if you connect the RS 232 to a GPS source, assuming it would accept the 496 data stream that drives the ADI 2 and the Dynon this would seem to mean that you have to switch the unit on before you crash so that the GPS position is included in the first burst transmission, is this correct? (I am assuming that normally the unit is off until either the unit is turned on or the impact switch is triggered). If the 496 stays on on battery power does it continue to output the RS 232 stream?
4. I normally fly with a SPOT with the SAR coverage, is the 451 upgrade worth the cost. I generally fly in the US, but if I had a wild hair and wanted to fly to Mexico or the Bahamas are the portable options?

Just trying to decide whether to do this mod now or not.

Some DAR's will reject the horizontal ELT antenna, some have allowed it. The installation manual says vertical. You might expect poorer signal reception by the satellites if you have the wrong polarization.

The unit continually receives GPS updates even when it has not been triggered (very small power drain). After a crash it sends the last GPS location it received. If it's still getting GPS data, it sends out what it's currently getting.

Not sure, but I don't think Mexico will take the non-automatically triggered SPOT as a substitute for an 406 ELT.

Only you can answer #4. IMHO the increased safety factor over just the SPOT is minimal.

Back