What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amazing - Incredible - My Slider frame fits out of the box

petersb

Well Known Member
I only had to shorten the front bow, where the rollers fit, so the frame bow is 3/8" above the roll bar, as per plans.

Two items I would like advice on:

1: The rear bow is 1/16" lower than the rear turtle deck from top of the frame to about half way down to the longeron. At that point it increases to 1/8", is this a problem in this area? This is due to the position that the rear bow is welded to the side bows, can't move it.

2: The side bows are 42.75" wide at the front bow when installed and 42.25" when removed from the airframe, I have to flex them to install the frame on the airframe. I believe this is good as the instructions call for 1/2" narrower when off the airframe to allow for canopy bubble flex when installed.

3: The side bows are 42.25 wide at the rear of the side bows when installed and 41.75 when removed from the airframe. Not sure if this is too much? ie: will installation of the canopy bubble pull the rear out 1/2" ?

Regards Peter

Obviously you received the wrong frame. Return it to Vans immediately!

You're going to have to be very stoic - when word of this becomes more widely spread, everyone is going to hate you. Nothing personal, you understand...

:D

Dan

Sounds like Vans is getting better at making these. You are the second or third person to say it fit perfect out of the box in the past 2 months or so! Maybe all the complaints have worked!!!

-david

Any answers to item 3: ? Is the 1/2" too much at the rear,for the canopy to pull out ?

Peter

It's a "that depends" question. As in, it depends on the size/shape of your canopy bubble. I'm only familiar with slider canopies put together with Sika, but I've done several now. On mine, that would have been too much. On one friend's, it would have been about right. YMMV. I'm not about to make a case for Sika vs. traditional riveting- that's a personal decision- but in the case of the former you can do some frame tweaking after canopy attachment since there are no holes in the frame making stress risers.

Sounds like Vans is getting better at making these. You are the second or third person to say it fit perfect out of the box in the past 2 months or so! Maybe all the complaints have worked!!!

-david

It's not the variation in Canopy frames that's the big variable. Rather, it's the width of the fuselage at the roll bar position that matters. This dimension is not well controlled during construction and can easily vary up to an inch.

I did a survey (search the posts) that confirmed this. However, it is easier to cut and weld the canopy frame than to rebuild the fuselage.

Good job!

It's not the variation in Canopy frames that's the big variable. Rather, it's the width of the fuselage at the roll bar position that matters. This dimension is not well controlled during construction and can easily vary up to an inch.

I did a survey (search the posts) that confirmed this. However, it is easier to cut and weld the canopy frame than to rebuild the fuselage.

Good job!

When I received my roll bar it was way off. I thought that maybe it was my fuselage so I measured and my fuselage was within 1/32" of the plans. The rollbar was almost an inch too wide.

If I send the money,

would you buy me a lottery ticket?:D

I am sure something must be wrong. Is this an RV we are discussing?

Congratulations and keep building.

Continued good luck.
David

Matched drilled holes, canopies that fit,....what is the RV world coming too!
Pretty soon, anybody will be able to build one of these things.....

Back