What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Am I Going Too Fast?

Naruto

Well Known Member
Well,

I had my empennage kit since May 29th, 2007. I have completed the HS and VS. I am worried that I may be going to fast and may not be doing something correctly. I have uploaded my log book to yousendit. It is a MS word document about 60 Megs. Can someone download my log book and take a look at it and let me know if I am rushing things too much or if I am proceeding correctly. I recently joined EAA and have not join a local chapter yet, so I don't know anyone who I can show my work to.

I have not worked on the kit for a few days because I'm going to order the SB wing kit tomorrow and don't want to run out of things to do before the wings arrive.

The link will be good for a few day before yousendit deletes it.

Removed Link, Yousendit says I have exceeded my download limit.:( I can't complain since it was free.

Last edited:
Since you're working faster than I am, you're working too fast - otherwise I'd be working too slow.

I'm DL the file now, but time from purchase doesn't mean much, it's how much time you're spending in the shop that transform aluminum into airplanes parts.

Naruto said:
I recently joined EAA and have not join a local chapter yet, so I don't know anyone who I can show my work to.

I have not worked on the kit for a few days because I'm going to order the SB wing kit tomorrow and don't want to run out of things to do before the wings arrive.

As far as I can tell, everything looks good so far. I would try to find an expererienced builder to look over your shoulder once or twice but you seem to be doing fine.

If I were to go back and do things over, I would have taken the time to use a better primer (you'll find a variety of opinions, to say the least) but I started using epoxy primer much later in the project, and like it better.

If you do run out of parts, build some tables (I used the EAA chapter 100 design) or a paint/sanding table with some fans and furnace filters.

I have three words for you...

Text book job!

Nice work Naruto - I looked thru your photo log - everything looks great. Riveting looks very even and consistent. Your attention to detail is very evident.

It's a good sign that you are asking if you are moving too fast. That means if you think you are in over your head in some area of the project you are smart enough to ask.

Keep plugging away and you'll do just fine.

Look forward to seeing the pix of your elevators and rudder when you start working on them.

Cheers,

Rob

PS: I see you blew the bucks early in the project on the Sioux palm drill - you won't regret that. My single most favorite tool purchase ever.

Warning - Primer Wars!

flyeyes said:
If I were to go back and do things over, I would have taken the time to use a better primer (you'll find a variety of opinions, to say the least) but I started using epoxy primer much later in the project, and like it better.

May the force be with you James, you're flirting with primer wars! :D

I rattle canned mine with good old zinc chromate in a spray can (am saying that so that Naruto doesn't feel alone in that choice). Although, I used the Zinc Chrom. epoxy on the 4130 chromoly tubeframe aircraft that I built prior. I do agree with James in that if you can spend time on it, the two part epoxy primers, particularly the good old zinc chromate epoxy is some incredibly tough stuff. Let's just say I got lazy on the tail of my RV and I was having too much fun smashing rivets to prep paint.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys. I feel much better now. I originally bought a gallon of SW P60G primer with catalyst and a HVLP spray gun #43430 from harbor freight. I spent about 4 hours trying to paint the practice kit and it came our extremely bad. The spray came out very spotty and not consistent. I'm sure it's me but I figured the self etching primer was better than nothing, so I moved on with the building. So I have about $150.00 in paint and a spray gun that justs sits under my workbench that I don't use. I'm kind of glad I switch paint because I really did not like the prep work or the clean up every time I used the spray gun.

I really like this community as you all seem like a good bunch of guys. I hope I can return the favor after I gain more experience in building. Thanks again.

Last edited:
You're doing great - don't worry about the time (or lack there-of) it takes to build....

I built my tail in 1 month, and the airplane flew 18 months after I opened the empennage boxes....it's all a question of how much time you have to spend each day in the workshop...and how addicted you get!

Build on....

Paul

Ref. My HS was done in 40HRs and a week and a half, the VS took aout 25 and a week, the elevators took, about 60 hours and a year... yeah, I don't have the money for the wings so I was working too fast...

robriggen said:
If you're only on the tail and your log is 60 meg you will have many large files by logging in MS Word. Try expercraft.com, it will be easier to use and it will always be on line so you can send links when you need help, rather than a large file. Oh yeah, it's free too.

Thanks for the info. I definitely going to check them out after work.

Well, I place the deposit for the wings and hope to see them in two months. Can some one tell me the average amount of hours it will to complete the wings?

Back