What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum thickness Advice Request

bendun

1st time post guys.

My RV-10 kit will arrive in a week and as this is my 1st aircraft build I'd like to do some practice rivet/squeeze/dimple.

I will be buying some sheet aluminum for use as practice as well as later on building:
- tray for mounting ADAHRS/magnetometer
- back-plates for skin openings (rudder trim servos)
- etc.

Can you guys recommend what sheet thicknesses I will need to acomplish the above?

I understand that the kit uses:
- 0.016 skins
- 0.025 ribs

Thanks guys & gals
Gary

Welcome to VAF!

1st time post guys.

My RV-10 kit will arrive in a week

Thanks guys & gals
Gary

Gary,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Good to have you aboard:D

For my 7a project, I purchased one sheet each of .025, .032, .042 and .060 measuring 18" x 18". It's been nice having the extra aluminum around.
I think if you are building "by the book" you likely won't need additional aluminum.
But, if you're going to ad-lib, well, you can add as much as you need.
:)

My RV7 standard build kit came with a number of pieces of "scrap" sheet that were leftover from the factory CNC punching process.

It was plenty, with the addition of a replacement aileron leading edge that I messed up and then used for brackets and custom glovebox. I purchased a 12 x 48 piece of .063 at SnF just in case I needed it for the panel. Did not.

Can't say if the extra material is supplied for RV10 or QBs.

1st time post guys.

My RV-10 kit will arrive in a week and as this is my 1st aircraft build I'd like to do some practice rivet/squeeze/dimple.

I will be buying some sheet aluminum for use as practice as well as later on building:
- tray for mounting ADAHRS/magnetometer
- back-plates for skin openings (rudder trim servos)
- etc.

Can you guys recommend what sheet thicknesses I will need to acomplish the above?

I understand that the kit uses:
- 0.016 skins
- 0.025 ribs

Thanks guys & gals
Gary

For the servo and many other non-planned openings, you can order the doubler and access panels pre-cut and drilled from Van's. look for the parts used for the stall warning.

Although I would recommend taking a look at Aerosport Products rudder trim. It's much easier to install than the servo for rudder trim. I did both and took the servo out.

Bob

Trim bundle

As Lorne mentioned above, the kit will come with nice, clean, flat scrap pieces. If I recall correctly, it will be called "trim bundle" on the pick list and the pieces come in various thicknesses. It wasn't immediately clear to me that the "trim bundle" was scraps until another builder pointed it out.

David

Practice right?

I believe the question is really about practice. So I built some tray stuff with .025 and found that to work for very light stuff. For general practice, buy the Van's tool box practice kit and give it away as a Christmas present.

Actually, a tool box with a basic set of lifetime guaranteed tools makes a nice wedding present.

====== Van's Part number ==========
Tool Box Kit Practice Project
Part Number = TOOL BOX KIT
Price = $28.00

Back