What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum spools in F-604

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
I bought my RV6 well along into the build process, so the fuselage and wings are pretty much complete. When I bought the project, the previous owner gave me two aluminum spools about 1.5" long and 1" in diameter, saying 'hold on to these, they're important". I have since found that there are already two installed on each side of F-604, so that the spar will ride under them. There seem to be two sets of holes on the bottom for two more sets of these spools. I can't find any mention of them in the plans. Are they locating points for the spars? Since I only have two left, do I need to make two more? I am very confused!
:confused:

Spools

Dat's the problem! I can't find them in the plans anywhere! They are mounted at the outboard edges of F-604, such that the spar will go under them. Not sure I know how to attach pictures -haven't tried before.

Pictures

The first picture is taken from inside looking outboard. You can see the spool just in front of the spar flange. The second is taken from outside looking into the spar opening in the fuselage. The spool is visible at the top of the opening.

IMG_1233.jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m535/sstaton1/IMG_1232.jpg

Looks like there just being used as "temporary" spacers. For the A models, we had to use wood to take place of the spar ends, to hold the landing gear mounts in place.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Yes, that's my take on it too. That would interfere with inserting the spar and would have to be removed before installing the wings. But, you want some kind of spacer to support the bulkhead if you put it on gear without the wings on. As Larry said, many of us used a false spar made of wood, but the (presumably) machined spacers are a nice idea.

Yes, that's my take on it too. That would interfere with inserting the spar and would have to be removed before installing the wings. But, you want some kind of spacer to support the bulkhead if you put it on gear without the wings on. As Larry said, many of us used a false spar made of wood, but the (presumably) machined spacers are a nice idea.

Yes... but this is a -6 (I think) so the full spar substitute is not really required.

It looks like a good building aid to ensure that F-604 is built with the correct spar spacing. The pictures in the early -6 plans show a stack of metal spacer strips on page F(8-2) doing this task...

The inner edge of the F-604B piece is somewhat flexible so the the really critical dimension is at the outer skin where these "spools" are. It's a clean way to build the F-604 bulkhead into the fus. structure correctly.

Thanks!

I will go with the consensus. Thanks again! They will come in handy for fitting all of the stuff that goes on the front of the spar. If I had tried to fit the spars, that question probably would already have been answered, but I haven't yet.

Back