What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum Dust

David Paule

Well Known Member
I use this disk sander for shaping some of the thicker parts on my RV-3B. With its 12" diameter, 120 grit and 1 hp, it really does the job. It cuts rapidly and doesn't overheat the aluminum.

zx662c.jpg

After using it on some fittings the other day, I noticed that in the sunlight streaming in through the windows, there were twinkles. Turns out that some of the aluminum dust was airborne. It remained in the air for a bit less than five minutes before settling out.

I had thought that it would all fall down immediately instead of floating in the air, and the accumulations under the sander (which had been vacuumed up before I took the photo) suggested that idea. Turns out not to be so. Wear your particulate mask!

Now whether there's enough dust to be an explosion hazard, I don't know. Anyone?

Dave

Aluminum dust

Good questions!

I can't answer if it is dangerous or not but my sander has a vac attachment that I always use everytime the sander is turned on. I also wear a simple dust mask. I've not seen any evidence of any aluminum dust on my mask yet but being very careful.

As far as explosion hazard, I keep everything very clean and empty the vac everyday. Again I don't know but would love to hear from the experts.

Dust

I once worked in a factory last century where we would stick those disks on with tubes of yellow wax. We would make store fronts and skyscraper exteriors. We never had any issues with a factory full of them..

But while we are on this point, never grind aluminum on a grinding wheel that has ground ferrous materials. It can create an explosive called thermite. It will kill and main. It is used to weld rail track together.

I drink (weak) coffee pretty much all day long. In the early days of building I'd take a thermos of coffee out to the shop, fill the cup (top of the thermos that screws off), and set it on the bench to sip on as I work. At some point I noticed that my coffee had a silver sheen on the surface -- ultra fine aluminum dust put into the air by my ScotchBrite wheel -- and I was drinking it!

That can't be healthy, but I really don't know. I use it as an explanation for any screw-ups or mental errors I make. And if I ever write anything stupid on these forums, please keep in mind that I've consumed aluminum dust. :(

I still take coffee to the shop, but now it's in one of those thermos bottles that you flip up the top, take a drink, then flip closed the top again. So metal dust particles stay out.

Aluminum and Alzheimer's

I've read that there may be a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Don't risk it, always use a mask!

I've read that there may be a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Don't risk it, always use a mask!

I keep my bench grinder that has a scotch bright wheel outside my door under the porch roof. Besides the alum. dust, the scotch bright fibers float around and plug the cooling fans on the computers and CNC machines. It's a little cold and inconvenient to step outside but it makes a big difference.

I've heard the same (aluminum and Alzheimer's). My wife got rid of all of our [uncoated] aluminum kitchen pots and pans years ago for that very reason.

I wonder if there is a difference in health effects between inhaling fine aluminum dust and drinking liquids that have fine aluminum dust in them. I've taken measures to not drink it, by never having any open drink in the shop. However, wearing a dust mask when cutting/drilling/deburring aluminum is something I don't normally do, and I know that fine dust can stay airborne for a surprisingly long time. You just don't see it in the air unless you look just right, using a bright light. I reckon a lot of people are breathing this stuff in their shops and not even realizing it. OTOH if you breathe through your nose, maybe it's all "filtered" OK.

As to coffee... I'm often teased at how weak I make the coffee that I make for myself. It looks more like a light tea. I have a 12-cup drip coffee maker and put in less than a teaspoon of coffee grounds in the filter. So if I drink one or two pots of coffee in a day, it's probably only equivalent to one or two cups. Of course if I buy coffee in a coffee shop/restaurant it's much stronger.

I wonder if there is a difference in health effects between inhaling fine aluminum dust and drinking liquids that have fine aluminum dust in them.

Probably in more danger from accidental creation of thermite. From time to time you read about somebody getting hurt. Thermite is a mix of 3 parts iron oxide dust to 1 part aluminum dust. It's hard to light with grinder sparks, but apparently not impossible.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071125064608/http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=542&parent=506

Keep the area around your cutting and sanding tools cleaned up....

I was director of a neurology testing lab in a previous life. There is no evidence of an association between Alzheimer's and ingested aluminum. I do use a mask to protect my lungs.

Jim Berry
Rv-10

What everyone should be concerned about breathing is the grinding wheel material, especially like ScotchBrite or sand paper. The body can get rid of the metal, however the manmade material and sand dust doesn't absorb/break down.

Teapots?

In the UK a lifetime of drinking tea brewed in aluminium teapots has been suggested as cause of dementia in old age.

I was director of a neurology testing lab in a previous life. There is no evidence of an association between Alzheimer's and ingested aluminum.
I heard that too, but I can't remember where.

In my house the cause has been debated, but building an airplane in the garage has been suggested as evidence of dementia. As there is aluminum (or aluminium for our UK and "down under" friends) in abundance, I'm going to blame that.

Back