What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum Brake Line Abrasion Protection

JonJay

Well Known Member
I used about a 3" section of spiral wrap around my 1/4" aluminum line where it exits the lower leg fairing. It has worked well to insure the bottom of the fairing does not abraid the line.
After 500 hours plus, there is some scoring of the material and I want to replace it. The only stuff I can find locally is 1/4" with a much thinner wall than the stuff I used, or 3/8" which is too big.

I only need a few inches of the stuff and I have no idea where I originally got it. Anybody know where I might find it in something less than 100' roll?
I am also open to other ideas but this works really well and is super easy to do.

If I can find some Polypropylene tubing I will just slice up what I need but would rather spend my time elsewhere.

Jon - I use some fuel hose I got at the auto parts store - rubber with internal braiding - and just slice it, put it where it needs to go, then use zip ties to hold it in place. It takes a LONG time for anything to abrade it away.

Paul

Jon - I use some fuel hose I got at the auto parts store - rubber with internal braiding - and just slice it, put it where it needs to go, then use zip ties to hold it in place. It takes a LONG time for anything to abrade it away.

Paul

That'll work. Have some laying around. Thanks Paul.

John---you can also try some clear hose from the neighborhood blue or orange home and aircraft improvement stores. I like the clear, because you can see the tubing, and check it during conditionals.
Tom

Spruce ...

Last time I looked, Spruce had the spiral wrap stuff by the foot, in at least two sizes. It was with the electrical stuff as wire wrap. I've purchased it from them three different times.

Last time I looked, Spruce had the spiral wrap stuff by the foot, in at least two sizes. It was with the electrical stuff as wire wrap. I've purchased it from them three different times.

They do. The 1/4" stuff is not thick enough in my opinion to provide adequate long term protection. The 3/8" is too big. That seems to be what everyone carries, or you can order what you want from a huge shopping list online from Panduit suppliers and others. I will just break down and pay the freight, which is more than the stupid product, or follow one of the other suggestions.

For what it is worth I like the spiral wrap for several reasons;

My brake lines make a turn immediatley after exiting the bottom of the fairing and the spiral wrap conforms easily around it.

A 3" section of spiral wrap requires no tie wraps or anything to secure it on the line.

The polypropylene is very tough and also "slick", not rubbery, so the fairing rubbing on it slides easily.

The main reasons I like it; I know it works, has been proven over 500 hours, is easy and cheap.

Anyway, I am making too big a deal of it. There are many ways to skin this cat as mentioned by the other folks above. I just hate changing from something I have proven. You always risk introducing some unkown.

I would think you could re-size the spiral wrap by wrapping the spiral wrap around something handy, and of the correct diameter, and set it in the oven at 250F or so. Depends on what the material is. Presto - custom size.

Another tip - I globbered RTV in the appropriate location to act as a cushion for the lower edge of the gear fairing. Maybe not elegant, but sure works well.

Back