What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aluminum as back rivet plate?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I've been using my table saw surface as a back rivet plate (works great!) but am about to rivet the rudder and need/would like something that will support the entire edge of the rudder (to keep it flat on my bench while riveting).

Somewhere (perhaps even in the Van's binder) I saw that either thick aluminum or steel could be used as a back rivet plate. Since I can get the former pretty cheaply and surfaced (and in long pieces) at home depot, should I? Anyone have any experience with this? I assume the only problem would be if the manufactured rivet heads for some reason dug into the aluminum rather than getting smashed into the dimple.

Suggestions before I head to Home Depot?

Thanks,
Steve

I obviously haven't tried it, but I do believe aluminum would be waaaaay too soft. I bought an 8 ft by 4" by 1/4" piece of steel from a welding yard. Cost me all of $4. Took about 3 hours to get it sanded smooth and polished, but it worked great.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

I used a .125 x 2 piece of aluminum about 16" long when we did the stiffners on the rudder, elevators, ailerons, and flaps. As long as you have a solid backing for the aluminum backing plate to set against, you should not have any problems. When we were finished, the backplate did not have any dings or divots in it.

Back