What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Altitude chamber ride in UK or Germany?

hendrik

Well Known Member
I'd like to do a ride in an altitude chamber. Does anybody here know where in the UK or Germany I can do that?

I have a text msg in to my USAF aerospace physiologist in london. Their is a chamber in Britain and another in Denmark. I asked about civilian access to training.

They have the facilities at RAF CAM at Henlow, near London.

I believe Guy Gratton was looking to arrange some training there recently and may be worth contacting.

Altitude Chamber - UK

Hendrik - I believe that QinetiQ run the chamber at Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, UK. Well worth the experience. We all have a different set of signs for the on set of hypoxia. Knowing your own could save your life.

I recently spoke with someone on the medical side at Henlow, and was told they are short of staff / overworked, and were not offering commercial type courses. Worth a try, but not sure it will work...

We all have a different set of signs for the on set of hypoxia. Knowing your own could save your life
Ummm.... all I know from numerous "rides" in such chambers is for me it is fairly symptomless - and that's knowing it's happening. In an aircraft, probbaly under some stress, and not expecting it, unlikely I'd say "Oh dear, I've got hypoxia, best I descend" :eek: I therefore, in the civilian GA / ex-Mil jet world, avoid unnecessary reliance on Oxy systems, without the extensive Mil support of kit, SOPs and training I was used to ;)

A good example AAIB Link

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but my wife is in nursing school and recently brought home a pulse oximeter. Can't remember exactly how much it costs, but it was less than $100. Very small, I plan on keeping one or two in the plane for those days I go up high.

Try a call to the British Gliding Association.

They probably have the largest group of UK pilots used to using O2...:)

Back