What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Altitude Chamber Locations

Kokemiller

Well Known Member
Does any one know of locations that give altitude chamber rides to civilians? I understand Offutt in Omaha used to but I heard they no longer do. Prefer something in the midwest if available. Several professional pilots have told me that it is a valuable experience. Too bad they don't have something at Oshkosh for GA pilots to use.

Do you subscribe to FAAsafety.gov? http://www.faasafety.gov/default.aspx You'll get notifications of all the Wings sessions.

I attended a "Wings" High Altitude training session about a month ago that was offered locally. We did a half day of class and then did a high altitude chamber ride. The FAA guys brought in a portable chamber.

The portable chamber was interesting because it simulated high altitude by reducing the O2 percentage in chamber. They used O2 scrubbers to reduce the O2 percent in the portable room that they constructed onsite.

If you get lucky, they may offer one of these classes in your area.

Chamber In AZ

There is a chamber in Mesa, AZ operated by ASU that is available to for training for groups. I went down with a group of friends for a half day of class followed by a 30min chamber flight up to 25,000 ft. Very interesting experience and I would highly recommend it to every pilot. Every person reacts differently to hypoxia and learning your own symptoms is crucial to understanding how you will react in a hypoxia situation.

Thanks for the info. I am now in contact with Oklahoma City trying to get dates and people lined up. July is full and August is filling fast so hopefully we can get something to work out.

Called the local FSDO and they haven't heard of a portable unit so looks like OK. City is it.

Back