What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Altimeter Suggestions

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
I am doing a little survey on Altimetrs and was wondering what people have purchased for Back-up of the EFIS.

My config is likely to be dual AFS 5500 + other stuff. What are people using as the backup Altimeter?

I am looking at a Winter 4FGH40. Any thoughts on these?

We put that altimeter in our RV-3, and so far, it is working quite nicely. Looks like a piece of jewelry..... We've only operated it for a few months, so I can't tell you anythign about long-term survivability.

Paul

It is what I have used. There are very few 2 1/4 accurate altimeters available. Pricey, though, but on my panel it looks good with a truTrak wing leveller and VANS ASI set up vertically with a Precision vertical card compass on the strut.

I know from a previous post that Stein is not happy with the quality/reliability but since I am still to fly I can't comment.

My Backup Gauges

Here is a shot of my RV 10, standard 3 1/8" size gauges.

P2030033.jpg

Last edited:
My primary EFIS is a GRT Horizon HX. Tucked between it and the left edge of the panel is a Dynon D-10A, which is my backup. It has the internal battery, as well.
Although there is no "horizon" indication, my Trio Pro Autopilot does have independent pitot and static lines, so it can still fly a heading and go to/maintain an altitude without any external input.

John

I've got almost the identical configuration to Mike with GRT's and 3 1/8 backups. My AS/ALT/VS are United.

Except I put mine in the correct order - AS on the left and VS on the right :D

I'm going to be similar to John: G900X with Dynon backup. I get more backup than simply altimeter for about the same space.

our planes

When I built my RV7a 5 years ago I installed a 2 1/4 UMA altimeter as a backup. When I bought the RV 10 two years ago, it had a 2 1/4 UMA altimeter in it also. This winter I upgraded the RV7a to the Winter 2 1/4 altimeter and would like to do the same for the 10 but at $964 I am going to fly the summer as is.

I'm using a Trutrak Gemini PFD as my primary backup. Or at least I will be as soon as they ship.

Bob

For what it is worth, I have a D100/D180 and a TSO'd altimeter.

The Dynon gear has been spot on for IAS and Altimetry since day one, initial bench test and two subsequent RAD43/47's etc.....they are more accurate than the test box just out of calibration :D

Guess which piece is on the outer limits and if it is not careful will get an inop sticker because it will be out of IFR tolerance ....... yep you guessed it! :(:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Garmin 696 is also my altimeter backup (have the altitude on the screen at all times).

I originally was going to put a 2 1/4" altimeter in my panel as a backup, but I was told that the cheap ones weren't easily adjustable, and for the biennial IFR test, if it's in the panel, it has to be within tolerances. So I didn't put one in the panel.

In retrospect, I'm very happy with my choice. If I lose the EFIS, the GPS altitude is good enough. Less weight, cheaper, and less of a headache for the IFR cert.

-Rob

Back