What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

alternator voltage problems

67MK Larry

Hi new to the forum, have a 529Hour, 1994 RV6A, voltage is going from 13 to 16 every few seconds, any thoughts on what to look for first. Thanks Larry

Welcome aboard Larry!

Couple of thoughts/questions...

1) Is this a Van's internally Regulated alternator? If this is the case, then it is a Nippondenso you can read literally thousands of posts about them here), and you have probably gotten your service life out of it. Take it to the nearest auto parts store and get another - use it for another 529 hours for about a $100.

2) When mine went bad after a couple hundred hours, it exhibited the exact same thing - wandering voltage excursions. It went from "normal" to "uh-oh, I don't like this!" in just a couple hours, and I went and replaced it - I have an "all electric" airplane, and didn't want to take any chance on a real over voltage event.

3) Many will direct you to a Plane Power or B&C unit. These are GREAT systems as well! You will have to do some re-wiring, add an external regulator, etc. On the other hand, if I ever got 500+ hours out of a certified alternator on my old Grumman, I would have been ecstatic, so maybe the good old ND is good enough?

My thoughts,

Paul

Alernator

Thanks for the advise Paul, not sure what alternator, I have will pull cowl today, just did first annual and mechanic had me busy in cockpit, I meant to recourd all equipment models and serial numbers firewall forward didnt get a chance. Thanks again....

WELL THEN LET ME BE THE FIRST........ well then, the third.......

Van's sells the PLANE POWER alternator kit. It is easy to install, has built in regulator and has built in over voltage protection. $375.00 This is the best price. This is not the same as an auto regulator. Go to their web site http://www.plane-power.com/Bit3.htm and read about this unit, then you will understand why yours failed at 500 hours.

The average car is driven about 500 hours a year. And alternators have no problem going for 10 (5000 hours) to 20 years. But place them in an aircraft and get only 10% of their life expected life???? It's like installing cheap tires..... except tires don't go bad DURING your flight and cause you to land before your battery goes dead.

I would expect Paul to upgrade next time around.........;)

Last edited:
I would expect Paul to upgrade next time around.........;)

Well, I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!;)

One of the nice things about the ND alternator is that if it goes out in Podunk Wherever, I can walk over to the auto parts store, pick one up, and be on my way. I've been stranded with dead (certified) alternators,and using the ND was a conscious decision to avoid that. Of course, I also have a backup alternator installed so that I don't have to terminate a VFR flight early!

Paul

Re: alternator problems

My Van's alternator (60 amp) quit at 146 hours. Van's warranty is 6 months from purchase. I replaced it with an identical unit from Kragen's for $105, lifetime replacement warranty, now if I ever do need a replacement, Kragen is everywhere. Dan

Paul

I HAVE BEEN HOLDING MY BREATH for the past month!.........:eek:

We are downwind from the fire zone here in the NORTH part of California. 4 miles in haze.

As far as the Plane Power, I think if you read up about them, you will see that there is an auto parts alt that will fit right in place. BUT it will not have ov protection or any of the other features that Plane Power has. But it will get you going again. Less the core charge. ON the other hand you may NEVER need to do that again............:rolleyes:

My Van's alternator (60 amp) quit at 146 hours. Van's warranty is 6 months from purchase. I replaced it with an identical unit from Kragen's for $105, lifetime replacement warranty, now if I ever do need a replacement, Kragen is everywhere. Dan

Call a local alternator repair shop and ask them how Kragen alternators are rebuilt and or tested....:eek:

So who wants to remove their alternator every few hundred hours? Wait, you could just exchange it at every condition inspection.......:(

It's a regional thing

Never heard of Kragen. Maybe I need to get out more;)

All the same company (CSK Automotive) but they do business as Kragen, Schuck's or Checker Auto Parts in various parts of the US.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

One of the nice things about the ND alternator is that if it goes out in Podunk Wherever, I can walk over to the auto parts store, pick one up, and be on my way. I've been stranded with dead (certified) alternators,and using the ND was a conscious decision to avoid that. Of course, I also have a backup alternator installed so that I don't have to terminate a VFR flight early!

Paul

Good point. I still use the 35a "Vans" alternator which is actually a NipponDenso as used on 1976-1979 Honda Civic CVCC without air conditioning. The original was replaced with an Advanced Auto Parts version (part #14184) at ~550 hrs after I cooked the diodes charging a run-down battery.

And as long as I own that '79 Honda the alternator has a life-time warranty! :D

Alternator

I use the same 14184 35a Alternator as Sam and many other RVs.

I got mine 4 years ago from RockAuto.com when I was building my plane. It was a rebuilt unit and cost less than $20.00 (with a one dollar core charge). The test tag that came with it showed 42 amps max output - not too bad for a cheap 35 amp alternator.

I put the 4" GM air pump pulley on it to slow it down - alternator speed should be about 6000 RPMs for maximum life.

I also have a 1" blast tube in the back of it to keep it cool - I'm sure it would be dead by now without it.

I've got 505 hours on it without a problem. Since Sam's failed about 550 hours maybe I should get my replacement coming. I just checked RockAuto's website this alternator is STILL less than $20! ;)

Your mileage may vary...

I use the same 14184 35a Alternator as Sam and many other RVs.

I got mine 4 years ago from RockAuto.com when I was building my plane. It was a rebuilt unit and cost less than $20.00 (with a one dollar core charge). The test tag that came with it showed 42 amps max output - not too bad for a cheap 35 amp alternator.

I put the 4" GM air pump pulley on it to slow it down - alternator speed should be about 6000 RPMs for maximum life.

I also have a 1" blast tube in the back of it to keep it cool - I'm sure it would be dead by now without it.

I've got 505 hours on it without a problem. Since Sam's failed about 550 hours maybe I should get my replacement coming. I just checked RockAuto's website this alternator is STILL less than $20! ;)

Your mileage may vary...

I'm quite sure the failure of my alternator was pilot inflicted. I managed to run down the battery one cold morning and once the plane was jumped off and running, the monitor showed the little 35a alternator putting out 48 amps! The diodes apparently gave up the ghost not long after. With no such abuse the alternator would probably still be on my plane.

I still like the externally regulated alternator since it is so easy to add over-voltage regulation with the Nuckolls OV module. And an el cheapo 1975 Ford regulator (available where you bought the alternator) is all that is needed to complete the package. But if someone needs a larger alternator it may be more difficult finding a suitable one that isn't self-regulating.

Last edited:
Back to the problem..... voltage fluctutions to the high side.

I had the exact same problem subsequent to water getting into the split (cessna type) master switch. I replaced the switch and the voltage issue went away. That was a year ago. Point is the problem you described can be caused by a wiring / switch issue, the alt might not be the problem. I also have the 35 amp Vans alt.

Last edited:
Back