What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator placement

JILLPAT

I have an RV7A with an O320E2A C/S prop. I got the Sam James Holy cowl for better cooling of the cylinders. The problem is the area where the alternator goes, right front, is so tight that I cannot get the alternator to fit. I have a air-tec alternator and it still is not small enough. Any suggestions??

Leon
RV7A
N853LC

Interesting

I have a James cowl (the older longer style with a prop extension) and I managed to get a relatively large Toyta Camry alt in there...although it was tight.

I recently changed to a Planepower alternator and that unit is significantly smaller. It seems the oreientaion of the brackets allows the alt to sit much more snugly up against the engine block.

Can you use a shorter belt and modify the slider bracket?

If not check out the plane power alt...Its tiny!

Frank

The alternator I have is as small as the plane power, in fact they look identical. However now I realize that the starter, skytec, is not going to have room either. Has anyone else run into this problem? I contacted Sam James aircraft and was told to use a blister patch. Not happy with that idea.

Back