What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator noise in headsets, coming from co-pilot side.

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Hello All, and Happy Easter,

I made a cross-country trip on Friday and observed an annoying noise level in the headsets. :( By the sound I think the source of the noise is the alternator. The noise is NOT coming from the com radio. Intercom volume does not affect the noise level. However, switching the intercom to the "Isolate" position cuts the noise way back. Still slightly there, but not at an annoying level. Noise is present in both headsets. Noise is present on the pilot side even if the co-pilot headset is not plugged in.

I have a theory, but I would like a second opinion from some of you experienced avionics guys before I start pulling things apart. During the recent condition inspection, I pulled the co-pilot headset wiring out and installed the optional camera audio output jack. I'm thinking I might have misaligned the fiber washers under the mike jack when I reinstalled it, and inadvertently gotton the body of the jack against the mounting surface, thereby creating a ground loop. Do you fellows think that sounds feasible, considering the symptoms?

John

If the problem wasn't there before you made the change, then it would seem obvious it was something you did, leaving out or perhaps installing the special insulating washer upside down could definately cause the noise.

Back