What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator make/model?

Treekiwi

Can anyone help me identify this alternator on my RV6A with an Io360?
It has no identifying markers, part number or anything. I'm trying to determine its amp output and whether or not it has internal over voltage control.
1000003074.jpg
1000003075.jpg

A photo of the back of the alternator showing the wiring connectors would be helpful. This is most likely an automotive Nippon Denso.

Looks a lot like my Nippon Denso on my Aerosport IO-360 on my -7
Info from my 'parts log' has this . . . (cant explain difference in numbers in the Notes)
Model # 18504-6220
Part # 6220W/DSP
Notes; Nippo Denso / 100211-1680, aka P/N 12189N.

Looks a lot like my Nippon Denso on my Aerosport IO-360 on my -7
Info from my 'parts log' has this . . . (cant explain difference in numbers in the Notes)
Model # 18504-6220
Part # 6220W/DSP
Notes; Nippo Denso / 100211-1680, aka P/N 12189N.
Thanks Bruce!

The alternators suggested above both have different arrangement of the terminals than the one Stephen is showing us........

I thought it might be a 14184 but that is an externally regulated alternator. Does your plane have a voltage regulator? Probably not since I don't see a Field terminal.

If you need a replacement you might consider going to the 14824 or 14684, both are a popular internally regulated unit that is often available over the counter at your local auto parts store. They do not have over voltage protection other than the internal regulator.

Last edited:
The alternators suggested above both have different arrangement of the terminals than the one Stephen is showing us........

I thought it might be a 14184 but that is an externally regulated alternator. Does your plane have a voltage regulator? Probably not since I don't see a Field terminal.

If you need a replacement you might consider going to the 14824 or 14684, both are a popular internally regulated unit that is often available over the counter at your local auto parts store. They do not have over voltage protection other than the internal regulator.
Hi Sam
First, thanks so much for your input. I'm obviously not the builder of this plane, and some of the documentation is a bit thin.
I do have a Zeftronics regulator, but it is the model without over voltage protection.
I am trying to achieve this as I have an EarthX battery, plus I want to protect my avionics.
I was hoping the alternator might have built-in over voltage protection, but I really don't know.
Stephen

OP has a Mitsubishi alternator without internal regulator. You could replace your Zeftronics voltage regulator with a B&C which has overvoltage protection, and keep the existing Mitsu alternator.
The pic below shows the same architecture as OP showed above which proves it's a Mitsubishi, but the one below has a built-in regulator (1984 Honda Civic, which came with Denso or Mitsu).
1719018991470.jpeg

Last edited:
OP has a Mitsubishi alternator without internal regulator. You could replace your Zeftronics voltage regulator with a B&C which has overvoltage protection, and keep the existing Mitsu alternator.
The pic below shows the same architecture as OP showed above which proves it's a Mitsubishi, but the one below has a built-in regulator (1984 Honda Civic, which came with Denso or Mitsu).
View attachment 65191
Thank you so very much. Great info.
Stephen

Transpo V1700 Voltage regulator is bolt on fit to the typical $20 Ford VR and is both adjustable voltage output and over voltage protected. Used to be great at $99, now like everything 50% more at MCR in MI.

Might as well go to the B&C
LR3D-14 Alternator Controller/Regulator, 14V (Homebuilt)
PART #: LR3D-14
PRICE: $265.00

Back