What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator "L" Terminal Question and EFIS Input

cfiidon

Well Known Member
I've read the forum posts and helpful schematics for the ND alternators but I am still not certain of the "L" (lamp) circuit operation. Some explanations seem to indicate that when the alternator output stops, the L terminal goes to ground, enabling an ALT lamp to light, as the lamp has battery voltage on the other side. Great.

Some literature I've read seems to indicate it has a voltage on it. When it matches the battery voltage the lamp doesn't glow, when the voltage drops a bit (as in a slipping alternator belt) the voltage on one side drops a bit allowing current flow and the lamp will glow dim.

The bottom line is this: If the terminal really does go to ground I'd like to connect it to my Dynon D180 general purpose inputs and label that function as "ALTERNATOR OUT". But before I do that, I want to know the actual function. Anyone know? Anyone used it as an input to an EFIS or EMS.

Yes, I know I could install lamp, but I don't want to. I can also simply rely on the warning when the amp shunt value goes below a certain value, and that may be the easiest.

Don

Last edited:
Back