What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator interference

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
IMG_4650.jpg

Just hung the motor and was putting on the PlanePower alternator. Discovered that the alternator hits the engine case at the tip of the triangular casting as shown in the photo. This is as far up as the alternator will travel.

I cannot get the supplied belt on when the flywheel is on the motor. Have to remove the flywheel and put the belt on the alternator and then put the flywheel back on the motor. This is Ok now, but don't think I could get a "spare" belt on the alternator in the field. If the total adjustment that appears to be designed into the system were available, it would not be an issue.

I will ask Vans on Monday, but is this standard with the XIO-540?? If there is a fix, what is it? It looks to me like a shim under the alternator mounting bracket might make some improvement.

For information, my flywheel is not the two belt AC type, but the single belt. According to Klaus, you cannot put Lightspeed's new sensor ring in an AC flywheel. I had to specially request the "old" style and it was no issue.

For information, the alternator and flywheel do not have perfect alignment. From my preliminary measurements, I have to take .063 off the front of the alternator bushings. (they are part numbers 99-1001 and 99-1002) This will not be a problem.

Are you proposing to strap an extra belt onto the engine for field replacement? If not, then the prop will have to be removed to put a new belt on anyway. Just making sure. Otherwise, you could remove the alternator bolt to make it fit or you might have to grind just a little bit of the alternator housing to make it fit.

Jesse

Yes, I want to carry the spare belt on the engine for emergency field repairs. With it as is, I could not be put over the alternator pulley. I don't know how many people who have actually use the spare belt idea, don't have one on my -6A, but it sure is a simple thing to do.

Might be able to grind on the alternator or the engine casting but there is a bolt that will quickly be an issue if I remove some from the engine. You can see it in the picture straight above my tablesaw modified thumb. Sort of reluctant to start grinding on the engine since it is so shinny and new!

IMO a spare belt is more of a hazard than than anything else (if it comes loose and get tangled in the flywheel you're going to have a real mess). Do yourself a favor, forget the spare belt and R&R the prop now and then to clean out the sludge in the crank and replace the belt at the same time.

And you want the belt as short as possible to keep the alternator from rubbing on the bottom cowl.

Do not grind on the engine or alternator!

Last edited:
IMO a spare belt is more of a hazard than than anything else (if it comes loose and get tangled in the flywheel you're going to have a real mess). Do yourself a favor, forget the spare belt and R&R the prop now and then to clean out the sludge in the crank and replace the belt at the same time.

And you want the belt as short as possible to keep the alternator from rubbing on the bottom cowl.

Do not grind on the engine or alternator!

Amen to that!

The belt that Vans provides as part of the FF kit is to short and needs to be replaced. I don't have the number here at home, but if you search the threads you will come up with a complete discussion on the subject.

I should have left out the belt discussion.

Is the interference that prevents the alternator from going any higher than in the picture just the way it is with the stock setup?

Yes. The alternator will be rotated down away from the engine case with the proper belt so this interference is normal and not to be worried about. With the usual belt used from napa, the alternator will be near the putter part of the slot in the tension arm when properly adjusted.

Spare Alt belt

I could not agree more with Walt. Never strap a a spare belt to the engine. You will never use it 1 and 2 when it comes loose it will break a lot of stuff in the process. I have seen Fuel injector lines broken when this has happened and caused a off site in the mud landing not counting the fire danger.

Yes removing the pro is a pain but not that bad.

The risk is not work the time to pull and install a prop.

The belt that Vans provides as part of the FF kit is to short and needs to be replaced. I don't have the number here at home, but if you search the threads you will come up with a complete discussion on the subject.

Gates 7328 XL (although someone has posted a slightly longer one as another option).

Back