What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator from 89 Mazda 323 fit my O-320 E2G

wingspan99

To All:
I was able to fit an alternator from a 1989 Mazda 323 to my Lycoming O-320 E2G which I believe has the standard alternator brackets. It does have a field connector in the back to accept an external regulator, but I am using the internal regulator by connecting the "I" (goes to ignition power) to the large output terminal (which is connected to my battery when the master is on). It is a 55 amp alternator, and is a little bit large, and I had to grind a little of the case down so it would not rub on a cylinder base, and although it barely fits, it fits and works fine, and although it uses a V-belt pulley, I took the much larger pulley off my old "aviation" alternator and put it on, and the belt alignment is perfect with either pulley. I did have to take some of the metal off my pulley's base to get it to fit without binding. They're $70-100 at Rockauto dot com.
-Tom in Colorado

That is the alternator I have on my plane. 300 hours no problems. It was one of the recommended alternators for the bracket I bought from Spruce.
www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/bossaltbracket.php?clickkey=9717
It is more robust and heavier than a ND. Also has a larger diameter pulley than normal. I modified the alternator for a external regulator. Using a standard ford regulator. Very happy, bought brand new no core charge for around $125' I think.

Last edited:
Back