What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternative location for Fuel line pass-thru of firewall

macrafic

Well Known Member
I am building an RV-7A and have an IO-360, Superior horizontal sump, engine. Before I understood things, I had installed the gascolator bracket in the standard location on the firewall (lower right, as facing the firewall from the cockpit) and punched the hole into the firewall.

Now, I have installed the Andair fuel system and decided I don't need a gascolator. Ordinarily, for this setup, the fuel line would follow the tunnel forward from the Andair fuel pump and exit the firewall about the location where Van's firewall-mounted fuel pump would normally be installed (just straight ahead of the tunnel). I think this is OP 32.

My question is, which is better?
A. patch up the gascolator hole with SS and Proseal and penetrate the firewall where I ordinarily would if I hadn't made the gascolator mistake (and as directed by OP 32)?
B. extend the fuel line from the Andair fuel pump, to the firewall, then over to the location where the gascolator would normally go (and where I have the firewall hole punched) and exit there. Basically, this would be the O-360 setup (OP 28, I believe), but without the firewall-mounted fuel pump.

The latter option would allow me to re-use a hole I've already punched and avoid having to patch (which isn't a big deal, but is one more mistake that is a bit more visible than others I've made! yeah -ego at work here!!!) Any downside to this?

Fuel line routing

Hey Rich; I would reuse the same hole but...If you have your engine mount on hand, throw it up into place to be certain you have clearance for the fuel line and AN fittings. (Ask me how I know):rolleyes:

Yes and no, Rich

The fuel line that goes straight ahead to the firewall terminates with an AN fitiing on the other side and a flexible fuel line attaches there, IIRC.

If you re-use the hole you made, think of provisions to securely mount the tubing in front of the firewall or simple terminate it with an AN fitting and have a longer flexible hose made.

Tom at TSFlightlines on here will make any length you need.

Best,

Back