What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate Oil Press pick-up

Freemasm

Well Known Member
My apologies if this is a dead horse topic. A "standard" oil pressure sender is not going to fit in the typical or adjacent sister location; The coil hardness stand-off is in the way. Flipping the coil causes other problems.

- Anyone have success at at alternate locations; pros/cons?

- Anyone know of a shorter sender unit, possibly one with flying leads?

- Anyone use a 90 or 45 at the standard location for a remote sensor approach?

Your help/experience/thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Oil press sender interfere 1.jpg
    Oil press sender interfere 1.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Oil press sender interfere 2.jpg
    Oil press sender interfere 2.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 122
Anyone use a 90 or 45 at the standard location for a remote sensor approach?

On my -7A I mounted the OP sender via an adel to the engine mount. Used a 45 degree fitting and line from the standard OP pickup location to the sender.
On my current build I have the same 45 at the standard location and a line to a manafold on the firewall that has sensors for oil, fuel, and manifold pressures.
I think this is quite common.

Good news and bad news…..

The good is that not only aren’t you alone, you are in the vast majority! No one mounts their sensors in that location - 95% of RV’s use a fitting in either the back port (yours is blocked, as are most) or the side port (the overall majority because it doesn’t interfere with the ignition device) and a hose to a sensor on the firewall, or Adele’s to the motor mount.

The bad news is that in order install a fitting there, the engine has to be OFF the mount….

Most common is a 45 degree elbow, screwed in so that it is pointing aft and starboard, and I know of no way to install it with the motor mount in the way. But you’ll get another bit of experience in mounting the engine….again!

Paul

Tom @ TSflightlines is sending me one of his snubber 45 Els to see if it will fit. It's probably less than 50-50 but I want to try,

What I was really hoping for was someone to reply with experience using a different gallery port; specifically the right front. As this system reading is indication only (no back-up system energized, etc.), I'm not seeing a real downside. An ~15% reading offset (from pump discharge/supply pressure) is no big deal if taken into account for POH and avionics system programmed limits.

Anyone?

Additional comments:

@ Andoman. If your fitting doesn't have a restrictor, you may want to hit-up Tom.

If you believe this article from 25 years ago, I wouldn't be breaking any ground here.

http://www.airplanebroker.com/MARV.HTM

Last edited:
Regarding original question, anyone know the measurement impacts/any downfalls from mounting the oil pressure sender on the reg port? I can live with some measurement off-set if that’s the only impact. Your comments and experience would be appreciated. Thx.

Pic rotated to be uploaded from phone. Will try and fix later.

Attachments

• IMG_8967.jpg
    IMG_8967.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 45
Fitting

A NAPA 90 degree "street elbow" may fit in the hole that points to the right. Alternatively you can use the front of the same gallery. This will require two hoses or a hose and grommet thru the baffle. The front location is used by all recent Lycoming powered Cessna's The pressure at the forward location will be 8-10# lower than at the standard location.

Don't mount the sender on the engine, it will fail due to vibration.
As others have noted, use the Van's sensor manifold on the firewall or attach the sender to a location less likely to vibrate, like an adel clamp on the engine mount. A screenshot of OP-27 is attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot OP-27.jpg
    Screenshot OP-27.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 54
Back