What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate Oil Cooler Mounting

wawrzynskivp

Well Known Member
Hello All,

I wrestled with the two typical locations for my oil cooler (firewall or Engine cooling baffle) but neither would work with my rather large cooler for my YIO 390.

Attached are some photos on how I used my Oil Cooler ducting plenum or whatever we want to call it as bit of an attach point.

The keys here are that the geometry of the engine mount tubing prevent any sliding. The hose clamps only capture the position and help bear the load, they aren't what keeps it in place. And that when we mount to the airframe we needn't build for engine vibration as is the case attaching to cooling baffling.

I laid my glass to the engine mount with room for a layer of silicone tape (Maybe it was teflon tape?) to help prevent chafe on the powder coat.

Some of the bare glass in one of these photos was trimmed before painting just to help with cosmetics.

Solid for what I calculated as a 6G load.

I like it, and it pushed the outflow close enough to one of my cowl flaps that I can manipulate oil cooler-cooling flow from the cockpit.

[For those that look in detail: The upper duct inserts from inside the plenum and the nutplate is there to form an attach point for the plenum lid. A backing plate is attached inside of engine baffle and the rest of that duct attaches by screw/nut]

Attachments

• Oil_Air_Ducts_Sm.jpg
    Oil_Air_Ducts_Sm.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Oil_Air_Ducts2_Sm.jpg
    Oil_Air_Ducts2_Sm.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 107
  • Oil_Air_Ducts3_Sm.jpg
    Oil_Air_Ducts3_Sm.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Back